Do you clean the feet on NOS tubes?
Sep 9, 2009 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

omigawsh_lollercoaster

100+ Head-Fier
A little tarnishy looking's ok? Or only shiny bright will do?

If cleaning is best, recommended methods and/or products please?

I've seen the tube faqs thread, thanks.

smile_phones.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 22
Oxidation on old tube pins will impact their performance. Best cleaning is with a wire wheel (dremel) or brush. Then use some deoxit on the pins. Otherwise, acetone or similar will also clean off the oxidation but leaves a residue that should be wiped off after cleaning.

Bright is cleaned. Tarnished is oxidized.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oxidation on old tube pins will impact their performance. Best cleaning is with a wire wheel (dremel) or brush. Then use some deoxit on the pins. Otherwise, acetone or similar will also clean off the oxidation but leaves a residue that should be wiped off after cleaning.

Bright is cleaned. Tarnished is oxidized.

Thanks! I have a dremel (ugg the noise
frown.gif
), which deoxit product is the right one?

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 22
I use some fine sandpaper. Afterwards I clean them with some desinfection alcohol or what you call it. I also use this to clean the glass. The alcohol that is, not the sandpaper
icon10.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go light on the grinding. Though it cleans great, we are removing metal.

I'll let others recommend the deoxit products. I don't use it myself. DeoxIT®

Yeah maybe I should try a toothbrush for starters, they're not crusty just tarnished.

From deoxit: Quote:

RCA XLR & Vacuum Tube Maintenance

RCA XLR & Vacuum Tube Maintenance

If the part has been in service, assume it’s oxidized.

Metal surfaces:
Apply DeoxIT® to the metal contact/connector surface. If heavily oxidized, leave DeoxIT® on overnight, if possible. The next morning remove the contaminants lifted by the DeoxIT® with a lint free swab and “canned” air if necessary. Process may need to be repeated if the surface is heavily oxidized. Finish with a couple of short bursts of DeoxIT®.

Plated metal surfaces (i.e. gold or other precious metal):
Apply DeoxIT® to the plated metal contact/connector surface If heavily oxidized, leave DeoxIT® on overnight, if possible. The following day, remove the contaminants lifted by the DeoxIT® with a lint free swab and “canned” air if necessary. When no contaminants are evident on the swab or cloth, apply DeoxIT® GOLD. Maintain thereafter with DeoxIT® GOLD.

Plated metal, with no visible oxidation on the surface:
Apply DeoxIT® GOLD to the contact/connector surface.

For extended temperature applications, i.e., vacuum tubes, etc.
Apply DeoxIT® GOLD GxL to contact/connector surface.

Note: DeoxIT® does not necessarily remove any superficial discoloration caused by oxidation. This will, in no way adversely affect the performance of the equipment

DeoxIT® and DeoxIT® GOLD are also available in nonflammable spray or liquid versions. The solvent evaporates almost instantly, therefore, it does not drip, and is also safe on plastics, which is important with vintage parts.

Spray Part No.’s:
(Nonflammable, non-drip, safe on plastics. Over 150 sprays per can)
DeoxIT®, DN5MS-15, 14 g.
DeoxIT® GOLD, GN5MS-15, 14 g.

Liquid w/ Needle Dispenser Part No.’s:
DeoxIT®, D100L-25C, 25, ml.
DeoxIT® GOLD, G100L-25C, 25 ml; GXL100L-25C, 25 ml.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use some fine sandpaper. Afterwards I clean them with some desinfection alcohol or what you call it. I also use this to clean the glass. The alcohol that is, not the sandpaper
icon10.gif

Thanks for answering!

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 22
I use Flitz or Noxon metal polish with a Q-Tip. Then I clean off any residue with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. It does the trick for me.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Flitz or Noxon metal polish with a Q-Tip. Then I clean off any residue with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. It does the trick for me.

Noted, thanks!
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 22
I did a quicky clean up on one pin to show how well Flitz works. I like it because it's non abrasive. It wont take the plating off, just the oxidation. The pin on the left got a little clean in the process

tubepin.jpg

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a quicky clean up on one pin to show how well Flitz works. I like it because it's non abrasive. It wont take the plating off, just the oxidation. The pin on the left got a little clean in the process

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ff/tubepin.jpg

Sweet, I ordered some.
beerchug.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by omigawsh_lollercoaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet, I ordered some.
beerchug.gif

Great! Let me know how it works out for you
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back