Do you clean the feet on NOS tubes?
Sep 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #16 of 22
A friend has good luck placing a little very fine steel wool in a drinking straw, running it up the pin and spinning it. I always thought a few trips in and out of a Scotchbrite pad would be better than in and out of a socket, but I have not needed to yet. I do have a couple of ancient Orel 6N1Ps I need to try it out on.

Agreed, the cleanup with Deoxit is a proven winner.

Clark

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #17 of 22
Just a little 0000 steel wool will do it. Be sure to follow that with alcohol or another degreaser - steel wool is oiled to keep it from rusting.

I only clean them when there's a buildup of oxidation. Almost never, actually.

In addition to the hi-fi, I've got a bunch of old radios. Some with tubes that are 60-70 years old. A little oxidation makes zero difference to performance. It only matters when oxidation is so heacy the pins can no longer make contact with the socket.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #18 of 22
This guys knows more about tubes than almost anyone. Check out his test benches. I hadn't seen a Wheatstone Bridge since high school physics class, and I never saw one like his.

He is, however, keeping his pin cleaning method a secret. I suspect nanotechnology. If you think that is too far out, poke around his sales site.

Vintage Tube Services

His RCA history section is outstanding.

Clark

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #19 of 22
In addition to alcohol I use ...

dscn0708.jpg

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In addition to alcohol I use ...

dscn0708.jpg

That copper wire brush is way too big for the job. I always apply a thick layer of Deoxit D100L 100% solution with Q-Tip, let it sit overnight. Wipe it off with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and rough cotton cloth (or Q-Tip). Then brush all the pins with a light coat of Deoxit Gold. It works like magic, with zero wear on the pin surface. This also works great with all connectors, especially speaker cable connectors!! little tarnishy don't hurt anyting, but only your feeling.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great! Let me know how it works out for you
normal_smile .gif

Great job on the pins bro. I keep meaning to pick some of this stuff up. Thanks for reminding me of the name.

Peete.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great job on the pins bro. I keep meaning to pick some of this stuff up. Thanks for reminding me of the name.

Peete.

Peete,

I love the stuff. Remember to use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean off any residue left by the polish. If you have heavy oxidation, you may want to use 0000 steel wool along with Flitz. This will give you a mirror finish.

Glenn

DSC_2335a.jpg

DSC_2342.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back