do you believe it ?
Nov 16, 2002 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Headphoneus Supremus
my neighbor in the dorm has a pair of senn hd600. without amp ! directly on the headphone jack of a kenwood pcdp !
eek.gif

i give him my airhead for the rest of the semester to put in the line out of his pcdp (the headphone jack of my d25s is powerful enough to drive my pair of HD497) but I am still hurt. could you figure it ? a hd600 without an amp, or even on an basic airhead, OMG.

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 9
sheesh, that is pretty strange. wonder why he would remain using the 600's with just his pcdp because it surely can't drive it well at all. pricy, quality headphones with a crap source..so what did he have to say about the airhead?

Nov 16, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 9
indeed, it was really strange to hear the sound coming out the headphones. full volume of course, but he's not an audiophile at all. the difference when drived by the airhead was pretty amazing, even it's just not the worst solution. Think i'm gonna try to make him to consider getting in contact with one of the DIYer here or at least show him the headroom website.

Nov 16, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 9
you should've just tried to swap him straight up for porta pros.
very_evil_smiley.gif
hey, he's would've been happier - just doing him a favour, man.

00940 (zip code?), you take your can-ing too seriously. ignorance is bliss. you've thrown him out of the garden of eden - innocence of knowing better.

i'm sure he appreciates you being such a good friend. not many people would've done what you did. you did good. buy yourself an ice cream cone.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 9
wallet is empty, no money enough for an ice cream
tongue.gif

he already gave me some help and I can live a month without an amp. it also offers me an access to his hd600 when he doesn't use it.
biggrin.gif

in fact, i should fear more for my wallet than him

Nov 16, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 9
That was incredibly cool of you to do.

A friend of mine used to haev a pair of HD600s that he used via the headphone out jack of his Soundblaster Live card, mostly to play Everquest.

Another friend of mine had the HD580 with a Creek OBH-11.

In both cases, I preferred my old Sony MDR-7506.
smily_headphones1.gif

Even a few years ago I was familliar with HeadRoom, though, so I knew about the amps and that they said the HD580 and 600 were good through an amp and had read enough on other places on the net to think that was probably true so I ordered the HD600 last December with an intent to buy an amp.

... um yeah, I'd say you can definitely form a habit around here.

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Well, this is where I currenlty sit. My HD600's only get played through my Yamaha receiver. I guess the headphone jack on that isn't as crappy as some, but I'm definitely anxiously awaiting my first headphone amp (even if it is a super-mini). I'm planning on going the DIY route and building myself a max-out meta42, possibly over winter break.

At first, I thought the HD600's kicked ass out of anything. Then I got my portapros... and it made me wonder how much more juice I could get out of the HD600's through an amp.

Next, of course, would be the Cardas cable. Or perhaps a better source. But I actually might just end up selling my HD600 altogether and picking up the ath-w1000... if the reviews are positive enough.

Nov 16, 2002 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 9
LS, which Yamaha? the M45? if so, that's the amp i'm suggesting for someone to try with their akg k1000's. class A for the first 20 watts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back