Do you believe in Burn-In?
Nov 7, 2009 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 221

ipumuk

100+ Head-Fier
Do you believe in the phenomena called burning in of headphones?

The term is being used as if it was a scientific fact.

I was just wondering how many of you are actually believers
wink.gif

I for my part do not believe that the hardware of a headphone changes dramatically in the first few hunderds hours of listening. Of course matter always changes, but not in the way burn-in believers proclaim.

I do believe that we adapt to every new headphone. Especially in the beginning.

I come to this conclusion because after using a new pair of headphone the perceived soundsignature changes every day. But switching back to the old headphones (mostly cheaper ones in my case) gives me the impression they have even changed more in this time period. Hence not the headphones changed. But I did. My brain adapted to the new sound spectrum.

I am not a fan of believing. I have searched the forum for experiments or scientific proof of burning in with headphones.

Please post some links if you have a good source!

Thank you.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 221
There's piles of discourse on this contentious subject if you search a bit. It is probably unwise to start another thread here, especially since it belongs in the "sound science" forum. That said, I don't think many of us can safely say that it is a "scientific fact", despite having strong opinions about the nature of the slippery physical and/or psychological phenomenon.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 221
i am sorry! i did not know this forum existed. please delete this thread. i can not do it anymore

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 221
Same old story, eh Daniel? That's about the exact extent of your contribution to the subject the last go around. I respect your opinion, of course--however monochromatic. To each a zone.
biggrin.gif

I would actually argue that both of the stated options above could be occurring concurrently. Too bad there isn't an option for that, in addition to one that states no change occurs mentally or physically at all.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 221
I dont really care either. I used to think that burn in doesn't matter. But the more I listen to the equipment I have, the better It sounds. Who knows? Maybe I just enjoy it more? Just roll with it and enjoy the music! The mind is A crazy thing! This subject will be up to personal opinion and experience....... FOREVER!

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 221
Burn-in definitely exists. Maybe it varies from component to component, but I have no doubt that at least in the case of the K701/2, burn in exists and is significant. Even my girlfriend (who is no audiophile) confirmed that she heard a very noticeable difference in the way a burned-in vs. not K701/2 sounded when listening to them side-by-side (I had both in my house briefly).

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #14 of 221
I believe in psychological burn-in. After maybe the first 10-15 hours I don't notice any difference in the sound of a new headphone and it's never a dramatic change.

Modding the headphone produces a much more dramatic effect.

-Nylan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back