Do you beleive there are Aliens on other planets ?
Jun 29, 2002 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 77
The odds are greatly in favor of it. With millions of galaxies hosting billions of stars each, it would be arrogant to think that our particular star hosts the only planet among them all that supports sentinent life.

The bigger question is, will we be around when it is time to make contact? As it is, I fear that our species may be too greedy, violent, lazy, ignorant, and selfish to survive.

The aliens are keeping their distance, placing bets on the "star dice" table as to how many more years before we blow ourselves off the planet. We're the entertainment.

Jun 29, 2002 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 77
Nick you are dead right. Why is it that we still wonder. I feel the same as you . Its simply not possible for there not to be.

Jun 29, 2002 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 77
The way I see it there ARE planets with intelligent life out there.

But what i find interesting is that everybody thinks of this life as someone on the same scientific level as humanity today, or perhaps a few hundred years ahead.
Infact there is very little chance that that is the case.
Humanity discovered radio about a hundred years ago, and look at where we are now... Computers, trips to space, the ISS and so on... And that´'s just a hundred years of the many thousands of years humans have excisted.

This means that the chance of someone from another planet contacting us via, say, radio is rather large, but they would probably be many thousand years ahead of us technologically. We would probably not understand their incredibly evolved way of life at all...

- Some scientist actually fear that when this happens humans will feel worthless. We will no longer have the chance of making scientific breakthroughs that really are one of humanity´s greatest driving forces. We like to think we are the most intelligent and advanced creatures, but to these "aliens" we will be the equivalent of monkeys.

Of course the discovery of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe will have a great impact on our society. The difference of people here at earth, be it religious or skin colour, will seem much much smaller and conflicts on earth will disappear. We will feel a close bond with people that used to be very different to us.

Jun 29, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 77
"Sometime I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin

Jun 29, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 77
Yep. I believe. But they may be far away from us.

Also, even though there are probably millions of civilizations possible, you must also factor in TIME.

In all the worlds out there, there may have been a million planets with intelligent life out there, in the past, and there may be only 1 now, us, or a few, or still thousands.

And, I announce that I have seen a UFO, around 1967 or so, with other witnesses, when I was camping. There was no doubt about it.

Jun 29, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 77
If they are the natural inhabitants of their planets, they are not aliens.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just being technical.

Do you not also think it is arrogant to presume that we are the most intelligent creatures on this planet? Would more intelligent beings necessarily reveal themselves to you?

From a darwinian perspective, I am not in agreement that "intelligence" as we call it is even a survival trait. Sharks are considered to be of low intelligence and have lived for millions of years. Humans have been around only a short while and will not survive unless we populate other planets. We have moved to nicer climates, controlled our temperatures, vaccinated against our germs and taken to seditary lifestyles. Humans become less resistant with each passing year. We grow weaker. Meanwhile, we are the creators of our undoing. Not satisfied with the rate of evolution in germs and virii, we take to experimentation and development of weapons. We create super diseases by thinning the weaker germs. We create super viruses by mutating vaccines. We find ways to poison each other with byproduct from atomic energy. Our extinction is virtually guaranteed if we remain conjested on this tiny planet. And why? Because we were so intelligent.

Jun 29, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 77
i think there is intelligent life on other planets.

However, i remember learning in school that there was a study done with statistics. Something like 1 in every *blank* stars can support a solar system, 1 in every *blank* solar systems can have a planet that can support life, 1 in every *blank* planet that can support life will actually have life, 1 in every *very very large number* planet that has life will have intelligent life.

I believe there is intelligent life out there, just not close to our galaxy. I also believe that aliens wont be green men, or guys with big black eyes. I think they would look like humans.

I believe that if there is intelligent life out there, it would be like a parrallel planet to ours, almost exactly alike. However, it could be in different time stages. (ie: we are now, alien planet is in like industrial revolution, u get the idea).

Jun 29, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 77
Yeah but fred you forgot to mention the weed and the acid the many beers you had that night etc. Just kidding.

One interesting thing to note is that we have found very few other planets outside of our solar system. Once we get some really bad ass telescopes well then we can look at the planets one by one until we find cities, and ****, maybe we can watch the aliens go to dinner and talk about the games at the sports arena. Of course the events we would be watching would be millions of years old. Still it's something I would pay to see.

Jlo, why do you think they would look human??

Some scientists question whether they would even be carbon based lifeforms.

Kelly,
Yeah, but then again maybe we are looking for an excuse to mutate ourselves. Which I find frightening. Slowly phase out the human race in favor of some kind of ultra cyborg.

Jun 29, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 77
On planet Earth, science/biology tells us: "wherever life CAN exist it WILL". There are life-forms whose entire existence is at the bottom of the deepest parts of the ocean, under extreme pressure, living in the extreme heat of thermal vents from the Earth's core.

The question isn't "is there life elsewhere in the Universe" because there is. The real question is: "are they coming here and sticking things up people's butts". The answer to this second question is not so clear...

markl

Jun 29, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 77
One more thing, slightly OT: What happens to the religions of the planet Earth when we finally have proof of life on other planets? Do they "disappear in a puff of logic" to paraphrase Douglas Adams?

markl

Jun 29, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 77
Mark

One (Christian-based) conspiracy theory goes something like this: the face on the planet mars was fudged by the government. Space travel, by and large, is fictional. This is because we are nearing the end times. The government is already in the employ of Lucifer. The goal is to slowly replace religion with science. Ultimately, the people will become convicned that we did not come from God by from aliens. When this begins to happen, Lucifer's demons will descend from the sky and the people will welcome them as aliens. This will signal the beginning of armageddon.

Note: These are not my views. I merely make a hobby of reading other people's extreme views.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 77
I am beginning to think there are aliens on this planet. (the only way I can explain some of the people I have ran across lately.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back