Do Westone UMX3's Have The Same Fit As Westone 2's?
Nov 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LouieChuckyMerr

Head-Fier
Hello, and thanks in advance for any help.  I own and much enjoy a pair of Westone 2's, finding them extremely comfortable.  I was thinking of upgrading to Westone UMX3's (from everything I've read the Westone 3's seem a bit too bass heavy for my taste), but I'm worried that they won't fit as comfortably as the Westone 2's because in the pictures I've seen the stem appears to exit the housing at a different angle.  Please, would anyone who's owned both IEM's let me know if the UMX3's fit is the same, that is, as comfortable, as the Westone 2's fit?  Thanks again for your time.

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't own W2, but I got W1, W3, W4/R and UM3X. There is no fitting/comfort issues for all of them.

If you are still worried about the fit/comfort, you may consider to use foam tips (I use Shure Olive) as those will slightly change their shape according to the shape of your ear canal after you insert them into your ears. For me, they are extremely comfort and somehow improved the SQ of the IEM.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your reply, hkppl, I really appreciate it.  My main concern is that the angle of the stem on the UMX3 appears, to me at least, to be different from the angle on the W2.  I also own the W1 and find the fit exactly like the fit of the W2.  Also, I use the medium soft, thin, rubbery, grey tips (not sure of their proper label).  Is the body of the UMX3 larger or smaller than the body of the W3?  I know that the W3 is slightly larger than the W2, so knowing how the size of the UMX3 compares to the W3 would be very helpful.  Thanks again.

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 8
Just a bump
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 8
I would say that angle is pretty much the same. The main difference is the size of stem, it's shorter on W series. I can comfortably use UM series (i had UM1 and UM2) with gray silicone tips, but for my W1 and W3 i need something longer, so i'm using triple flanges (with 3rd flange cut off)
Other then that for me there is no significant difference regarding comfort

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, hkppl, I really appreciate it.  My main concern is that the angle of the stem on the UMX3 appears, to me at least, to be different from the angle on the W2.  I also own the W1 and find the fit exactly like the fit of the W2.  Also, I use the medium soft, thin, rubbery, grey tips (not sure of their proper label).  Is the body of the UMX3 larger or smaller than the body of the W3?  I know that the W3 is slightly larger than the W2, so knowing how the size of the UMX3 compares to the W3 would be very helpful.  Thanks again.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I'd say the UM3X is slightly smaller than W3. Actually, I think it's the shape that might be matter. The W3 is actually thicker and more oval shaped, while the UM3X is flatter and round shaped. Sorry that English is not my mother tongue so I am not sure whether that would exactly describe their shape difference....

Again, I don't have any comfort issues with all the universal Westones I owned, hope this will also be true to you 
smile.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 8
UM3X is quite small and very comfortable to me. I have average size ears(maybe tad smaller)

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 8
Tiax, hkppl, and aras:  thank you all very much for your replies; I really appreciate it.  Armed with this information I'll now simply wait for the next Earphone Solutions 25% off sale and purchase a pair of UMX3's
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back