Do US government enforce road toll payment from Canadians?
Nov 18, 2008 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
I drove through an EZ pass lane during the weekend because there is no cash payment accessible. I was coming down a ramp and all I can get access to is 2 EZ pass lane because the road is divided into 4 lanes on the left and 2 lanes on the right, with a barrier in between. There is one cash payment lane out of the 4 on the left.

My question is what are they gonna do since Im driving a Canadian plate car. I skipped toll once in Chicago and they didnt do anything about it and I wonder if its the same for New York State.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 12
why should they fine since they did not give me the option of paying cash at all?

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 12
Every situation that has happened to me or anyone I know was a result of I or them not seeing the cash area. Better luck next time.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 12
repost

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 12
repost

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 12
Well, that's an ethical question. However, they won't FINE you.

They will do one of two things:
1. Not bother trying to enforce, then you don't have to pay.
2. They will send you a ticket in the mail for the amount you were supposed to pay. This won't be any more than you would have paid on the road, and thus they are merely collecting what is due at a later date.

Either way, you've just gotta wait and see. Normally my friends get the ticket in the mail if we don't have the cash on hand at the time.

Hope this helps.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 12
No you will not get a fine. Not because they don't want to but because they have no way of knowing who you are because you have Canadian plates. As you aware Canada has some very strict privacy laws and there is no way the Mounties or Canadian DMV will give your information to a US Government body for a toll violation. They would require a court order and that would never be granted for a single offense.

That being said there is a good chance they will archive the violation and the next time you are pulled over or given a ticket for something in New York they will expect you to pay for this violation at that time.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 12
Just don't get pulled over any time in the near future in NY
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back