Do they exists: Wireless (pref. BT), open-back, over-ear headphones
Oct 17, 2019 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dogilainen

Head-Fier
Time to get rid of wires. But.. as Bono puts it: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

I have been reasonably satisfied with my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones, and would like something similar, sound wise. Little more *ooomph* at lower end would not hurt, but I love the spacious sound ("wide soundstage"?), separation and clarity of these "cheap enough for cooking" headphones, and would not like to give any of these attributes up too much. Not to mention how comfortable and lightweight they are..

I'm actually looking for headphones to be used in kitchen, while I'm cooking, at night. There is nothing to disturb my peace, unless I'm boiling something out of the kettle or kids wake up and start to call me, and I need to be able to hear should anything like that happen. Hence open-back design.

Does anything like that exists?

I found out that Grado makes something called GW100 that's supposed to be quite OK, but I'm little bit suspicious about on-ear design.. been using over-ear all my life.

And I know about Sennheiser RS 185, but do not fancy setting up the transmitter every time..

Am I the only one in need of this kind of headphones? :)

Oct 17, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Time to get rid of wires. But.. as Bono puts it: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

I have been reasonably satisfied with my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones, and would like something similar, sound wise. Little more *ooomph* at lower end would not hurt, but I love the spacious sound ("wide soundstage"?), separation and clarity of these "cheap enough for cooking" headphones, and would not like to give any of these attributes up too much. Not to mention how comfortable and lightweight they are..

I'm actually looking for headphones to be used in kitchen, while I'm cooking, at night. There is nothing to disturb my peace, unless I'm boiling something out of the kettle or kids wake up and start to call me, and I need to be able to hear should anything like that happen. Hence open-back design.

Does anything like that exists?

I found out that Grado makes something called GW100 that's supposed to be quite OK, but I'm little bit suspicious about on-ear design.. been using over-ear all my life.

And I know about Sennheiser RS 185, but do not fancy setting up the transmitter every time..

Am I the only one in need of this kind of headphones? :)

Some folks have had good results using a small bluetooth dac/amp like the Radsone ES100, and connecting it to their headphones with a short cable and velcro or what have you. Might be a good solution since you have a pair of headphones you already like.

Here's an example: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio-es100.867366/page-365#post-15241090

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately Anandas are little out of my budget. Like 2x at least.. and I wouldn't feel comfortable deep frying stuff with 1K headphones on :D

I need to check out that BT dac/amp thing, even though it seems that I'd need to modify HD 598s permanently, and use adapter, to be able to attach 3,5 mm jack to them.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 7
oh lord i didn't realize hooking a portable bt dac to your headphones was a thing other people had been doing.. I have a Elecom BT headphone amp that I broke the belt clip off on accident =\ I recently had utilized the power of velco to attach it to my removable cable mod MDR-V6's ... works good.. I'm "torn" about wearing it in public however if I'm honest.

v6_elcom.jpg

also wow there are not very many open Bluetooth headphones... perhaps makes sense as BT frequently means on the go.. which open back headphones don't make much sense for?

The only ones I really saw are these $80 ones that get pretty meh reviews.. from a build quality standpoint..Ghostek Cannon as well as the somewhat comically described as "passive noise cancelling"???? open back??? Hisonic HS1709 which would set you back $18~ and still have zero reviews on amazon .. these look amazingly bad and uncomfortable and well quite junk in general..

to be clear I've not listened to either of those.. for $18 I'd be tempted to "experience" the passive noise cancelling Hisonic ones.. but they look so bad I can't bring myself to order them for a laugh.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 7
I decided to go Radsone Earstudio ES100 route.. All I need is cable with suitable connection, but have yet to find it.

ES100 has: T - Right- / R - Right+ / R - Left+ / S - Left-

and HD598 has: T - Left+ / R - Right+ / R - Left- / S - Right-

Short (~20 cm) cable with 2.5 mm males, wired to work between these two, would be perfect, but no luck so far :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 7
I've done this as well after not finding anything BT, open back, over ear within my budget and hardly at all... I got a FiiO BTR1K and it works fairly well attached to my Sennheiser HD555. Perfect for doing things around the house and still being able to hear my wife or newborn. I'm really hoping this becomes a real category in the coming years. I'd love to throw a few hundred dollars towards something that doesn't look ridiculous.

IMG_20200614_114015.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back