do the size of the amp effects the sound quality?
Dec 11, 2008 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi my question is as written above, will the size of the amp effect (or can effect) it's sound? if i take the same electronic parts and put them in two different size amps , and they are both using the same power supply,
will the more bigger amp sound better or can sound better cause you have the option to put bigger parts(from the same kind!) inside of it?

the reason im asking is, after looking for some upgrade to my headroom ultra micro i have decided to stick with the headroom's sound which i love very much but get an improved version of it. so , if i'll take the ultra DESKTOP amp will the sound be better not just in terms of better power?
thx and i hope you understand the question.(my english is not perfect
redface.gif
).

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 8
The actual size of the amp shouldn't make a difference. If a small amp is built with very high quality parts and has an excellent design, it will sound much better than a HUGE amp that uses low quality parts and was designed by a monkey. Better parts aren't always larger, although higher values do make components larger.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 8
A larger amp will provide more space for a larger and better quality power supply. Some smaller amps can also be purchased with a separate regulated power supply. But you still need to compare each amp on its own as larger size doesn't guarantee that it will be better.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 8
the size of the case dosnt matter. If you put the same parts into a small box which fits them comfortably (provided adequate cooling is assured!), or into a HUGE box with lots of room...

Sadly you can only cram so much crap into a box which is 5.75" wide, 4.25" deep, and 2" tall. sometimes you jsut cant make do with such a small bit of amp.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Should not make a difference if you talk about the exact same components in a larger/smaller cabinet. Exchange some of the components and may of course have an impact on the sound quiality.
A larger cabinet allow you to use larger components though, so in that sense it may effect the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back