Do the Shure SRH750DJ Headphones need an amp?
Jun 2, 2011 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

iLoveMyuzik

Head-Fier
Hi,
I will be getting SRH750's somewhere in September and I was wondering if an amp is necessary. What are the benefits of having an amp for these headphones and also, what are the advantages to having an amp at all? I'm new to all of this since I've never had headphones that cost more than $30. As a hip-hop dancer/bboy and an aspiring MC, music is my life, and I want to get the most that I possibly can out of my music. I'm running my music through both my iPhone 4 and my MacBook Pro. I listen mainly to rap/hiphop(usually underground) and dubstep/electronica, but I listen to almost every musical genre.

Thank you for your help in advanced and I hope to learn a lot from this community.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 7
yes they benefit from an amp. they weren't very spectacular with one but from what i understand an amp improves the sound greatly. i used to own these but i never tried amping them. fiio e5 should be sufficiant.

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 7
is there a specific reason why you want that specific headphone?

reason i ask is i owned both750DJ and 840... i found the clamping force on 750 is harder than 840, so when i wear it longer than 30 min... i have to take them off to take a break... while the 840 is comfortable enough for me to wear for 2+ hours.

soundwise... the 750 has more bass... so maybe that suits your genre of music

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
yes they benefit from an amp. they weren't very spectacular with one but from what i understand an amp improves the sound greatly. i used to own these but i never tried amping them. fiio e5 should be sufficiant.

Well, I plan on buying a PA2V2 as my first amp, due to the fact that it's cheap, simple, and does what it's supposed to do. As I get further into the hi-fi world, I'm sure I'll want to get something a bit more... customizable, I guess you could say.

Quote:
is there a specific reason why you want that specific headphone?

reason i ask is i owned both750DJ and 840... i found the clamping force on 750 is harder than 840, so when i wear it longer than 30 min... i have to take them off to take a break... while the 840 is comfortable enough for me to wear for 2+ hours.

soundwise... the 750 has more bass... so maybe that suits your genre of music

Well, when it comes to music, I'm quite varied. I do listen to a lot of hiphop/dubstep(being a rapper and a dancer), so good bass would be nice, however, I do listen to R&B, Electronica, Rock, Alternative, Jazz/Jazzhop, Classical, and basically anything that sounds good. Music has been a release for me for many years, and I feel that I owe my music the respect of being played through quality gear.

Honestly, comfort won't be an issue for me, because I'm very use to taking it for the sake of quality, and I've heard many good things about these 'phones. Either way, even the comfort factor has been a bit mixed through reviews, so I'll have to see how good(or bad) it really is.

Also, I like how the SRH750DJ's look. Haha.

I plan to buy a pair of ATH-M50's soon after I get the SRH750DJ's, for comparison's sake.

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Well, I plan on buying a PA2V2 as my first amp, due to the fact that it's cheap, simple, and does what it's supposed to do. As I get further into the hi-fi world, I'm sure I'll want to get something a bit more... customizable, I guess you could say.

Well, when it comes to music, I'm quite varied. I do listen to a lot of hiphop/dubstep(being a rapper and a dancer), so good bass would be nice, however, I do listen to R&B, Electronica, Rock, Alternative, Jazz/Jazzhop, Classical, and basically anything that sounds good. Music has been a release for me for many years, and I feel that I owe my music the respect of being played through quality gear.

Honestly, comfort won't be an issue for me, because I'm very use to taking it for the sake of quality, and I've heard many good things about these 'phones. Either way, even the comfort factor has been a bit mixed through reviews, so I'll have to see how good(or bad) it really is.

Also, I like how the SRH750DJ's look. Haha.

I plan to buy a pair of ATH-M50's soon after I get the SRH750DJ's, for comparison's sake.

well they are great and i think you will enjoy them. durability wise though i would watch the extenders. they felt cheap to me.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 7
i won't say the 750DJ is very well build... but it's not bad either.

however, i strongly suggest you try out both before you bite the bullet.. they do wear very differently..

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
well they are great and i think you will enjoy them. durability wise though i would watch the extenders. they felt cheap to me.

I don't mind. I'm getting them from an authorized dealer, so the warranty should be more than sufficient. Also, I doubt I'll be messing around with them too much. Haha. Also, LOL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZE3J3ZykAw

Quote:
i won't say the 750DJ is very well build... but it's not bad either.

however, i strongly suggest you try out both before you bite the bullet.. they do wear very differently..

I have strong doubts that the comfort will be a major problem, but if it truly is, I'm sure I'll be able to return them. Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back