Do the Sennheiser 650s compliment the Denon D2000s well?
Aug 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 25, 2005
Posts
1,775
Likes
20
I was looking for a Yin/Yang kind of comparison.  I use the Denons for my Punk/New Wave/80s stuff, but I was looking for something that pairs better with Rock and Vocals.
 
Any advice?
 
Anyone know where to score them cheap?
 
Thanks, in advance.
 
Aug 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 13

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Posts
11,206
Likes
593
Location
Barsoom
Sennheiser enforces a MAP now - so the prices is the prices for authorized dealers.

Regarding the Sennheiser and Denon pair - they're more similar than different. I'd probably suggest looking at AKG, Grado, Audio-Technica, that sort of thing - more mid/treble driven than bass/mid-bass driven like the Denon and Sennheiser. Try something like the K701.
 
Aug 27, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 13

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 25, 2005
Posts
1,775
Likes
20
Quote:
Sennheiser enforces a MAP now - so the prices is the prices for authorized dealers.
Regarding the Sennheiser and Denon pair - they're more similar than different. I'd probably suggest looking at AKG, Grado, Audio-Technica, that sort of thing - more mid/treble driven than bass/mid-bass driven like the Denon and Sennheiser. Try something like the K701.

 
always awesome to get a response from you.  Seriously an asset to this community.
 
I was still able to find Senns on the cheap by contacting some distributors directly.  I was hoping for the same hookup, but you're saying they're similar-ish, so I'll put the K701 on my short list.
 
How about the HE400s or Senn HD600s? (I know I might be asking for a lot, but it never hurts to ask, eh?)
 
Aug 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 13

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Posts
11,206
Likes
593
Location
Barsoom
I haven't heard the planars, but I feel like the mid-bass driven presentation from the Senns is almost too similar to the Denons (you'll end up competing them against each other more than seeing them complement, at least IME). I think the general consensus is that the 600 are the most even-keeled of the three Senns, or most musical if you will, but I've seen this debated pretty heatedly (maybe not today, but a few years ago certainly) between the three.

The K701, by contrast, will be more mid/treble driven, are very open and spacious sounding, have much less bass, and are a very different presentation than the D2000s. Both image very well, I'd give the nod to the 701. :k701smile:

Regarding pricing - if you can get lower than SRP prices from an authorized dealer (which means you get warranty), take'em, but for the last year or so, Sennheiser has been pretty hard-line on their MSRP (like Grado or Bose). IMHO the $250-$350 range that they used to run for is VERY fair, but I don't think $500 is really a kick in the face compared to some of the other cans out there these days...
 
Aug 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 13

planx

Might be Ironman, or some fat kid.
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Posts
1,942
Likes
51
HE-400 is a very good all-rounder. I have yet to find a genre it doesn't play well in. However, if you want to get down to specifics, I think Grados will please you very well playing rock and vocals. You don't need to pay for the high-end stuff! I personally think the Grado SR225i is the sweet spot in the Grado lineup and I even returned a SR325i for the less expensive SR225i. Grados tend to be bright and aggressive sounding and that's why rock and vocals work very well. People get pretty confused when I say Grados are aggressive sounding and play vocals well because I think music like Andrea Bocelli and Pavarotti sound stellar on my SR225is. My idea of aggressive sound is very forward mids and treble with a fast pace. Sort of slaps you in the face with mids and treble. 
 
Aug 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 13

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 25, 2005
Posts
1,775
Likes
20
Quote:
HE-400 is a very good all-rounder. I have yet to find a genre it doesn't play well in. However, if you want to get down to specifics, I think Grados will please you very well playing rock and vocals. You don't need to pay for the high-end stuff! I personally think the Grado SR225i is the sweet spot in the Grado lineup and I even returned a SR325i for the less expensive SR225i. Grados tend to be bright and aggressive sounding and that's why rock and vocals work very well. People get pretty confused when I say Grados are aggressive sounding and play vocals well because I think music like Andrea Bocelli and Pavarotti sound stellar on my SR225is. My idea of aggressive sound is very forward mids and treble with a fast pace. Sort of slaps you in the face with mids and treble. 

 
I used to own the 225s.  I got tired of them after a while, same for the 125s.  I think the problem is I don't like on ear headphones.  
 
Aug 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 13

RushNerd

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 2, 2009
Posts
1,250
Likes
58
The 650 has made me incredibly curious over the years having my denon's so long. Probably not worth buying for me, but I'd love to try them out for like a week. It's been WAY too long since the last time I tried them.
 
I remember it being a great experience, but with very little low-end, but I suppose that is to be expected.
 
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 13

steve2151

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 7, 2011
Posts
505
Likes
22
I hear the Audio Technica AD series are a good complement to the darker, bass heavy Denons. My AD1000PRM has got speed, air, and a clear upper mid that reminds me of an improved RS series Grado. It's great for acoustic and classic rock, where my HF2 is better at metal. As for comfort, a phatpad modded Audio Technica is much better than any circumaural Grado.
 
Aug 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 13

planx

Might be Ironman, or some fat kid.
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Posts
1,942
Likes
51
Quote:
 
I used to own the 225s.  I got tired of them after a while, same for the 125s.  I think the problem is I don't like on ear headphones.  

 
Fair enough. I would say go for either the AKG x70x or HD650 then. Both are great cans. The HE-400 might be a bit too similar to the D2k.
 
Aug 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 13

Lorspeaker

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Posts
7,277
Likes
520
x1 on the hd600
popcorn.gif

 
Aug 27, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 13

planx

Might be Ironman, or some fat kid.
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Posts
1,942
Likes
51
Quote:
I thought this might be the case too. Odd since it's a completely different technology that it could still be close.

 
As surprising as it may seem, they somehow resemble each other. Of course both are still different, but somehow they seem somewhat related. Might be the strong bass and recessed mids?
 
EDIT: No, the HE-400s do not have recessed mids. Just feels a bit distant when compared to the bass, but the mids are very very good as well. You get a lot of bang for the buck with these HE-400s! I absolutely adore them and I can't wait till I get velours... Pleather is okayyy..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top