do the senn 650's ever go on sale?
Nov 8, 2008 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
I'm really trying to talk myself into them
wink.gif

I have the 580's and I think I want a pair of 650's. I know JR has good prices but I'm curious if there are ever any blackfriday (etc) sales or holiday sales on these cans?

I also realized I -just- missed that $50 rebate thing ;( I'm bummed about that since it would have been enough to push me over the edge.

the economy sucks. I want the 650's but I'd like to get them at better than retail. possible? this is a luxury item and I can only really justify it if its on sale (does that make any sense?)
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really trying to talk myself into them
wink.gif

I have the 580's and I think I want a pair of 650's. I know JR has good prices but I'm curious if there are ever any blackfriday (etc) sales or holiday sales on these cans?

I also realized I -just- missed that $50 rebate thing ;( I'm bummed about that since it would have been enough to push me over the edge.

the economy sucks. I want the 650's but I'd like to get them at better than retail. possible? this is a luxury item and I can only really justify it if its on sale (does that make any sense?)
wink.gif

Go used, my brother... plenty of 650's pop up on FS/T boards here, well below retail, plus they've been broken in, so you can just lay back and rejoice in all the new-found bass you've been missing out on
tongue.gif
(not a dig at 580's, trust me... they're on my watch list for a good deal)

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go used, my brother... plenty of 650's pop up on FS/T boards here, well below retail, plus they've been broken in, so you can just lay back and rejoice in all the new-found bass you've been missing out on
tongue.gif
(not a dig at 580's, trust me... they're on my watch list for a good deal)

In 2 days he should have access to FS/T forums. Joined 10/9/08.

I'm also playing around with the thought of going 650 from my 580s, but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In 2 days he should have access to FS/T forums. Joined 10/9/08.

I'm also playing around with the thought of going 650 from my 580s, but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

And there's plenty thinking of going 650 to 580/600, so trades may be a possibility, too.

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 16
how funny - I never thought anyone would want to go 'down' to the 580
wink.gif

considering the 580 is not made anymore, maybe I'd be nuts to get rid of mine?

here's a dumb question: can I just order 650 elements (whatever they are called) and upgrade my 580? or is that cost prohibitive? I honestly don't care as much about the cable - but I do wonder how different the speaker elements are.

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 16
Yes. They do. Or at least they did. I price-watched for a year and when I finally found them on sale at B&H Photo for $350, I jumped. That was a year ago. If anything were to happen to mine, I would immediately replace them at whatever the cost. HD650 is one of those things I simply must have now (like a Harley).

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

how funny - I never thought anyone would want to go 'down' to the 580
wink.gif

considering the 580 is not made anymore, maybe I'd be nuts to get rid of mine?

here's a dumb question: can I just order 650 elements (whatever they are called) and upgrade my 580? or is that cost prohibitive? I honestly don't care as much about the cable - but I do wonder how different the speaker elements are.

Going for the 580/600 (basically the same headphone) instead of the 650 isn't actually "going down" in sound quality or performance. Many people thinks the 580/600 is better balanced and more neutral than the 650. Others think otherwise, so take your poison. Price wise can be considered a downgrade, but sound wise it's just preferring a (slightly) different type of sound.

If I were in your place, I'd try to get a pair of used 650 while keeping the 580, so you could more easily learn about their different performances and choosing the ones you like better, or eventually keeping both.
To read the FS ads you don't need to meet any requirements, just PM the seller if you found anything of your interest.

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 16
you guys are saying that a few people prefer the 580/600 sound and that I -might- regret if I sold or traded mine. ok, I'll allow for that possibility
wink.gif

so that means I should hold off getting rid of mine until I've had a good long time to compare the 2.

I'd still prefer to get the new model, I think. the diff between a used price and JRs price isn't that huge and so I might as well just go with JR. it also sounds like you can resell them (somewhat easily?) if you really don't like them. I am very familiar with used cameras and computers but used phones just never really dawned on me, I guess
wink.gif

has anyone priced the active elements as replacement parts at sennheiser? I do wonder what the break-even point would be in a 'buy the parts' vs 'buy the whole thing' comparison. if the vendor prices the 'repair parts' so high it might not be cost effective to buy those. anyone know?

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 16
I read that there was a new model of hd650, a bit brighter with better sound but unfortunatly I don't know anyone close who s got one to compare with mine and see if it actually makes a difference or if its just burn in difference.
But you may get that by buying an hd650 new.

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

you guys are saying that a few people prefer the 580/600 sound and that I -might- regret if I sold or traded mine. ok, I'll allow for that possibility
wink.gif

so that means I should hold off getting rid of mine until I've had a good long time to compare the 2.

I'd still prefer to get the new model, I think. the diff between a used price and JRs price isn't that huge and so I might as well just go with JR. it also sounds like you can resell them (somewhat easily?) if you really don't like them. I am very familiar with used cameras and computers but used phones just never really dawned on me, I guess
wink.gif

has anyone priced the active elements as replacement parts at sennheiser? I do wonder what the break-even point would be in a 'buy the parts' vs 'buy the whole thing' comparison. if the vendor prices the 'repair parts' so high it might not be cost effective to buy those. anyone know?

1) 580's and 600's use same drivers and have essentially equivalent sound signatures, so it's not necessary to hold on to your 580's just b/c they're OOP. You can always switch back by getting 600's (my recommendation is keep the 580's, get the 650's, and then get some Denon's, AT's, AKG's, and whatnot, and then you'll have a whole headphone museum which many of us seem to be aiming for (me included)

2) Re: 600 vs. 650 differences/preferences -- Torpedo's summed it up; it all comes down to personal preference in the end. Check out:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd-...hlight=600+650

and

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dif...hlight=600+650

3) Re: Modding your 580's -- generally not recommended -- check this out: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wan...hd650s-216461/

Good luck

Ira

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 16
aha! I think the issue might be: that the drivers are not buyable in matched pairs?

does that hold true for all the sen (similar) family?

so what do you do if you blow 1 or 2 drivers? if they won't sell a matched set then buying the repair parts seems almost pointless unless its just a cosmetic fix.

is this how it works, that they won't sell matched sets of drivers?

at roughly $70 per driver it would still only set me back $140 to get the new '650 sound'. I really don't care about the rest of the parts as I'm not at all into wire wizardry and the grills seem almost entirely cosmetic in difference, to me. the mismatched 'look' would not bother me a bit.

but $140 for these vs about $330 for a new pair - that IS a lot of money difference. I could put that money into more BUF634 (sigh, if I could find them) or other amp parts.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 16
That is not the only difference. The HD650 uses carbon fibre in it's construction which helps to reduce resonance even further. Also, the headband on the HD650 clamps tighter (not sure if that'll really affect sound, maybe it'll move the driver a mm or two closer).

Also, just because the drivers aren't sold in pairs doesn't mean they're not matched. Maybe Sennheiser tests each driver to a certain "reference" and those that don't stay within a certain tolerance get thrown out or maybe simply sent back to the supplier of the drivers to be reworked.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 16
There's actually no carbon fiber in HD600 and HD650's construction, the headband is just hard plastic. That's why it also snaps so easily, I doubt carbon fiber would go pop like my HD600's headband did.

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

at roughly $70 per driver it would still only set me back $140 to get the new '650 sound'. I really don't care about the rest of the parts as I'm not at all into wire wizardry and the grills seem almost entirely cosmetic in difference, to me. the mismatched 'look' would not bother me a bit.

but $140 for these vs about $330 for a new pair - that IS a lot of money difference. I could put that money into more BUF634 (sigh, if I could find them) or other amp parts.

$140 + what you can sell your 580's for = what you can buy brand spankin' new 650's for (almost), plus they'd be resaleable for 80% of what you paid for them (if kept clean & pretty), as opposed to what you'd be able to get for your 580/650 Frankenphones
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, just because the drivers aren't sold in pairs doesn't mean they're not matched. Maybe Sennheiser tests each driver to a certain "reference" and those that don't stay within a certain tolerance get thrown out or maybe simply sent back to the supplier of the drivers to be reworked.

my guess is that drivers cost a few dollars, in true parts cost.

the development (and 'luxury tax') helps jack the price up. those who build things know that parts is not usually the largest contrib factor in consumer level pricing ;(

I would guess that if they tested and were found to be outside of acceptable tolerance that they're either sold as b-stocks to other markets (maybe) or more likely just thrown away.

perhaps I should just give it a try
wink.gif
it really is the cheapest way to get 'into' 650's since I have all the rest of the parts (grin).

lets also be really honest here - normal human hearing isn't matched perfectly ear to ear either! humans are not perfectly symmetric and so I'm not sure that matching things to 1% (or whatever the number is) is truly *needed*.

for less than $200, maybe it would be 'just fine' to live with any l/r driver diffs. I'll think it over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back