Do the KSC35 wipe the floor with the Sony E-888/Sennheiser MX500
Aug 5, 2002 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

beowulf

Headphoneus Supremus
I am getting tired of hearing about the KSC-35. I have bought the Sony E-888 and the Sennheiser MX500 for use at work, but none of the two truly satisfies me.

I wonder if the KSC35 are really all that good to justify ANOTHER purchase... it will be pricey since I will have to mail order overseas.

With all the money I'm spending, I think I would be able to buy some Etymotic soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 18
If you like more of a presence down the frequency range, yes. Big-time. The problem would be if you want to wear them outside.

They do fit quite closely, but not as close as earphones. The 35's also have higher impedance and all this does translate to a slightly lower volume.

They also will cause a high HCL among any people around you if you are travelling on public transport.

(HCL = Homicide Contemplation Level, i.e. how much scratchy personal hi-fi noise escapes out of your headphones to annoy fellow passengers on public transport. This measurement level is (c) Magicthyse 2002
biggrin.gif
).

For outside listening, something like the Sony EX70, the Aiwa HP-V600 and of course the much-talked-about Etymotics would suit better.

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by beowulf
I am getting tired of hearing about the KSC-35. I have bought the Sony E-888 and the Sennheiser MX500 for use at work, but none of the two truly satisfies me.

I wonder if the KSC35 are really all that good to justify ANOTHER purchase... it will be pricey since I will have to mail order overseas.

beowulf:

Personally, my answer would be yes. IMO the KSC-35 are far, far, far better than either of these (I own the MX 500, and have auditioned the E888 several times). A few other people disagree, though, so it might be a matter of taste
wink.gif
What is it about the E888 and MX 500 that don't satisfy you?

As for Magicthyse's comments about noise leakage, I have to disagree. Unless you are listening to them at unhealthy levels, they really don't leak that much.

Aug 5, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
For outside listening, something like the Sony EX70, the Aiwa HP-V600 and of course the much-talked-about Etymotics would suit better.

Magicthyse: It's funny how you mention the Aiwa canal-buds are the V600's (which is the model number for the US version), instead of the VX100's (Japanese model#). Have you seen them in local retailers yet? It feels like it's been forever waiting for these things to pop up in the US, but I can't find them anywhere.

Aug 6, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 18
Beowulf,

I'm one of those guys who likes the mx500. I have the ks35 too, and although the ks35 does sound initially more "sparkly," I find that they are not as neutral as the ms500s. They are good for what they do (this can be said about both), but I tend to prefer the nonfatiguing neutral sound of the mx500 over time.

That said, many people have gone this route: buy a million low priced headphones/earbuds looking for THE sound, and then, after they've spent enough to get the Etymotics, they break down and get them. So, getting the sound ends up costing more than if they just got the etys in the first place...on the other hand, I do like my mx500s for lots of uses.

So, BTW, I don't think the ks35s blow away the mx500s.

Happy hunting.

Aug 6, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 18
I would have to agree with magic thyes.. they sound great, but they dont isolate and leak a lot, but if that doesn apply to you, go for it, they are great.

Aug 6, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 18
Look Beowulf,

I was also an overseas purchase for me and my KSC35 only cost USD25. How many Big Mac Meal you can consume with these sum? A few, right? But what do you get in return. Nice enjoyable earbuds that look ugly but sound fantastic and will bring to you many hours of pleasure.

I won't sell my KSC-35 even own a few pair of good headphones. They are low priced and you don't have to worry so much tossing around them. My recommendation: grab them while you are still able to find them. These are easily the best audio $ that I have ever spent in my life. Get a pair and enjoy.

Aug 6, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 18
How much does the MX500 leak (MX400 is the same except for the in-line volume control and colors, right? )

And how are these compared to the new earbuds that come with the Apple iPods?

Aug 7, 2002 at 7:52 AM Post #10 of 18
If mx500 is only a 'little' (meaning not that much) improvement over mx400.

Then the koss porta drives will amaze u. Only 'if' mx500 sounds similar to mx400.

When i first got my sportas, i kind of remember they are boomers.....after time....the fatigue you're talking about because of strong base will eventually level off.

i can use my sportas many many hours continuosly, outdoors that is. Indoors, the sound becomes abit strong on the boom side. thats why i use the ksc50s indoors.

sportas good for= outdoors
ksc50s good for = indoors

and maybe ksc35 is the perfect combo.

Aug 7, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 18
The MX500's leak much less than the KSC. In fact, they leak a lot less than many earphones, but perhaps slightly more than the crappoearphones you get with most Sony kit these days.

You can also improve the response of the MX500's by taking time and effort to fit them as tightly as possible - they become really, surprisingly good then - especially bearing in mind their cost and the fact that they're mere earbuds.

However the fit rarely stays in place (at least for my ears) so you give up a lot of the lower-frequency response if you use them normally. But, you will hear slightly more of the music when outside than the 35's due to two factors - the drivers are nearer your ears (they are practically in your ears, as opposed to the 35's sitting outside your ear canal), and they're more efficient.

If you travel, don't want to overly annoy fellow commuters, and don't want to go for closed phones and the inner-ear earphones, the MX500's are a good purchase.

If your main haunts are quiet places however, the KSC-35's will blow the MX500's away.

Aug 7, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

If you travel, don't want to overly annoy fellow commuters, and don't want to go for closed phones and the inner-ear earphones, the MX500's are a good purchase.

If your main haunts are quiet places however, the KSC-35's will blow the MX500's away.

I think I should get the KSC-35s as I only want to buy one pair of headphones. But for travel use, do the Apple iPod earbuds (the new and supposedly more comfortable earbuds) sound decent compared to the MX500?

Also, do the KSC-35's have GOOD, deep bass? I'm talking about listening to techno/dance/trance music with that clear and crisp bass you hear on quality computer speakers..

Because most headphones (or at least the cheap kinds) doesn't give you the "boom" in techno music, but more of a "splat."

Aug 7, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 18
Just buy them! Dirt cheap, OK they're open but it's hardly gonna break the bank...

Aug 7, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Just buy them! Dirt cheap, OK they're open but it's hardly gonna break the bank...

Easy for yall to say... as I think I'm one of the youngest here who has to ask their parents for stuff. And if we don't like it, and we ask for another pair, they'll go "you just bought one!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back