Do the Ety ER4S sound the same as ER4P + adapter?
May 26, 2002 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wacomme

100+ Head-Fier
I've searched this forum, but haven't found a definitive answer to the questions: Does the the Ety ER4P with an adapter (which one?) sound the same as the Ety ER4S?

Basically, I'm interested in purchasing the Ety ER4S, but I like the idea of two phones in one with the purchase of the Ety ER4P with an adapter. However, since I have an Ety ER6 for portable use, I don't want to compromise the sound of the ER4S. So, is the ER4S the "standard" and the ER4P + adapter a close substitute, or are they the same?

Thanks.

Michael

May 26, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 9
Since they both use the exact same transducers and the only difference is the resistors, it stands to reason that they would sound the same if an adapter with the proper resistors was used with the 4P. I have the ER4P w/adapter and the 4S.........to these old ears, they sound the same to me. I honestly cannot tell the difference in direct A/B comparisons. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm using the fixup.net adapter. But I really don't use it, because I use the 4P directly out of a portable (iPod, PDCP, or MD player), and I use the 4S with an amp at home. Since I have both, the adapter is kinda pointless. If I were you, I'd get the 4P and adapter (don't know about adapter differences, though). This seems to be a more versatile set-up.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 9
I am also using the ETY 4ps and thought of buying a adaptor from fixup.net so that it can be used with my NAD amp at home. Did you change the cable as well? The thumbing microphonic sound is driving me mad. I wonder if anyone here has done the cable modification? I am concern whether it would be the same as the original cable in terms of sonic performance.

May 27, 2002 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 9
The Fixup ?ecable?f replacement is a vast improvement in ever way IMHO. It is lighter, far less noisy (microphonics), and even more comfortable as the cables now seem to fit my head better.

Some have complained that they do not have the 45-degree angle that the stock cables have, but I much prefer it this way as the cables now hang along side but not quite touching my face.

May 27, 2002 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 9
vb1,

"far less noisy (microphonics)"

You mean microphonics only reduced instead of completed eliminated?
confused.gif
If that's the case, is it still justify the do the mods? Do you feel any sonic difference?

May 27, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 9
Just reduced-NOT completely eliminated.

It's hard to say by how much as I switched almost immediately.

I'm not a good judge of this as I have not used them very much, and then only sitting in a chair for short periods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back