do the Ety ER-4P's have any soundstage?
Oct 24, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 12
There's really only one way to find out... take a listen! You'll be very glad you did.

Bruce

Oct 24, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 12
In my experience, they have a good soundstage when paired with tube amps (Melos, MG Head, Fisher), but not very much soundstage when paired with solid state amps. Your mileage may vary, though. Regardless of what you use them with, they're great headphones -- my personal favorite.

Oct 24, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 12
UV: I had the same reaction with the ER6. Am VERY happy with the Er4!

Hope you have similar success!

Bruce

Oct 24, 2002 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by ultraviolet353
Well I just ordered them and I am very excited. I hope they are better than the ER-6's because I ordered those a few months ago and was not impressed; I eventually returned them.

There is no comparison, IMO. The 4x is vastly superior. Look here:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=er6+4p

for my long-winded and pedantic review of these phones.

Oct 24, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
In my experience, they have a good soundstage when paired with tube amps (Melos, MG Head, Fisher), but not very much soundstage when paired with solid state amps. Your mileage may vary, though. Regardless of what you use them with, they're great headphones -- my personal favorite.

how can a tube amps affect soundstage? Do they alter freq. response or cause a delay between channels.

Oct 24, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by ultraviolet353
do the Ety ER-4P's have any soundstage?

no. to me, it is about 1/4" big. just my opinion though.

Oct 24, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by RobertR
how can a tube amps affect soundstage? Do they alter freq. response or cause a delay between channels.

I think it's related to one of two things: the lack of feedback in tube amps, or their harmonic distortion profile.

Solid state designs tend to require large amounts of negative feedback for stability and to control harmonic distortion. While this cuts down on the harmonic distortion, it also tends to eliminate fine details and introduce phase distortion.

On the other hand, tube designs can generally be stable without negative feedback, so they tend to preserve the smallest details of the recording. The Etymotics are really good at picking up these kinds of details. Unfortunately tubes also tend to introduce a bit more harmonic distortion, but it's natural distortion (the second harmonic is stronger than the third, etc.) and this tends to sound "realistic." Part of the magic of a Stradivarius comes from little air pockets in the wood that produce second harmonics.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Solid state and tube designs both have their respective advantages, but I tend to prefer tube designs with Etys.

Sep 14, 2003 at 9:58 AM Post #12 of 12
another thread to wake up!
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
yes they do have a very wiiiiiiiiide soundstage.

i second that. for me, listening to headphones is listening to a little world. for the players in this world, 5 meters are as big as they are to me on my world. i don't think that the Ety world is much smaller - but it's more "dense" - because the sound source is closer to the brain, and the distance between L/R is shorter then non ear-cannals. so it might be a little smaller - but still they have a big soundstage relatively to their space - and that relativity, at least to me, received as a wide soundstage.

i believe that what might cause to a little soundstage perception is their strong definition - it's a tight presentation in a very defined place. it's easy to know where the soundstage ends.
my ety's aren't fully broken in yet, but it's a character i don't think that will go away. sounds like a part of the deal. correct me if i'm wrong, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back