Do sportas or ksc35 sound similar to grado sr60s?
Aug 10, 2002 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
yep, just a question......does the sportas or ksc35 sound close to the sound quality of sr60s. (sr60 have those full pads....without the hole in the center of the driver.)

i vaguely remember that they do, closely sounding the same.

Aug 10, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, I have both and have listened to both a lot. I think the Grado SR60s have a significanlty better sound quality than the KSC-35s, but I did feel compelled to cut a quarter-sized hole in the soft earpads of the SR60s, and this increased the sound quality of the Grados about two-fold, at least for my taste. They went from pleasing to dazzling. The KSC-35s are good enough to enjoy music tremendously. The weaknesses, to me are that the bass sounds great but not LOW, and the highs on the KSC-35s sound to me a little too sparkly, like something's missing just below the highest frequencies. The Grados sound smooth and bright in the high end and the bass is low and balanced but a little weak. They are both pleasing in a similar way to me, in that they both have a very natural and unforced sounding presence in the mid-range, where I feel most of the music is. I wouldn't want to do without either one, if I were in your shoes I'd get both (obviously, since that's what I did). I got the 20-buck deal on the KSC-35s. Prefer them greatly to the 15 buck KSC-50s mainly due to fit issues.

Aug 10, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 7
I've got the 60's and some koss 50's, getting the 35's tommorow hopefully!

The 60's definitely have an amount of detail that the 50's lack. However, sometimes i just find the music more enjoyable from the 50's. Also, while bass extention is there on the grados, its not as powerful as that of the 50's, even though the 50's bass isnt as accurate.

If im listening for detail i use my grados, if im listening just for ufn i use my 50's. However, i think i will be using the 35's a lot once i get them.

Aug 10, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Can't vouch for the SportaPros, but as for the 35 I'd second the similar character. If you're sitting at home, and have it jacked into a halfway decent system, the SR60 is a better phone, offering more definition. However the sound difference is not as big as the price difference.

Some may actually find the 35 more comfortable that the SR60 for extended listening.

Aug 10, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 7
In a word, "yes"!

I can pretty much reiterate, word for word, what Magicthyse said and apply it to the SportaPro's as well. The comfort factor, or lack thereof when it comes to the Grado's, as well as their signature brightness, make my choice the Koss lineup. Add in the cost factor and the nod undeniably goes to the Koss'.

This, of course, is MO and applies primarily to portable listening. For home I prefer my Senn's.

Aug 11, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 7
Thank You. thank you. and xie xie or duo jie.

this is amongnst the most helpful forums ive been into, and ive been to and post regularly in many type of forums (from jpopmusic, asian movie, to photography forums.)

Anyone in to hk, korean or japanese flicks? some wicked stuff they have.....compared to the sometimes rather dull american movie scene.

This discussion board is really the best.
biggrin.gif

I started this topic to help me shop. And i thought asking this comparison question is much better...than using (should i get sr60? quest)

tricky right? sr60 is out of my list.

Please continue any comments u have because im sure others will find it very useful, just as i did.

happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back