Do Shures really have bad bass?
Nov 26, 2008 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

amitpop

New Head-Fier
I am looking to by a new pair of headphones and was looking at the Shure e2c and the SCL2 but most of the reviews complain that it has no bass. Is this true? If so what are some good alternative phones that are around the same price (50-60$)?

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 16
are you asking this Shures' low frequency response is of poor quality, or if the amplitude is too little relative to the other frequencies?

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you asking this Shures' low frequency response is of poor quality, or if the amplitude is too little relative to the other frequencies?

To me, "no bass" reads as "amplitude", but...

In response to the actual question, Shure is going to have more bass than most Etymotic IEMs, and has enough bass for many, but if you're looking for something with genuine kick, I'd look more toward the Image X10, Future Sonics Atrio M5/M8, UE Super.fi 5 EB, or other similar well-known "warm" and/or "bassy" IEMs.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 16
Well, the only headphones i've worn in the past year are the apple ones and some cheap Phillips in-ear ones, and i listen to mainly techno and rock/metal. Would the Shures be fine for me?

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 16
In my opinion none of the Shures have very good bass EXCEPT SE530 which is head and shoulders above the others in the line-up. I much prefer it even over TFPro because it slams with realism. Drums sound fantastic on the SE530's.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 16
i got SE210 and i love them,great whit strings and classic rock,i just started to enjoy jazz whit these Shures,fore the price they are realy god and the over ear cabels are comfy when you get used!
But now im moving to 530 sooooon!

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 16
I'm guessing that he's not looking for bass only, but for a flat response. He just doesn't want to feel that something is lacking.

My suggestion would be on the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro( or even Super.fi 3 Pro ). I haven't tried any Shure to talk about them.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 16
e2c's have good bass if your source does. E2cs out of a 1g shuffle was very nice.

As always, the seal is important - a lot of e2c's were sold before they started including the soft flex silicon sleeves, which imho were required for a good fit.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 16
Before i bought my Audio technica CKM70, i had (and have still got) the Shure E2c and thought the bass was very good.
The main problems i think, are that people arent inserting them correctly. If they arent fully in your canal, then the bass is light. I used the medium foams, and found the bass to be very respectable.
They can be bought very cheaply now, and are a great iem for the price.

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 16
I have tried every shure model in the SE line, and (not surprisingly) the SE530 has the best bass. Tight, articulate without being boomy. It may sound slightly deficient if you really like huge bass though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back