do others feel the current prices of cd's are too expensive?
Oct 16, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 46
If you pay full retail yes they are expensive.....
but there is huge used CD market, older new Cds are reduced price (nice price etc), and most brand new Cds are on sale first week of release for $10-12.

Actually CDs sell for the same price now as when they first came out 20 years ago......if price rose same rate as inflation Cds would be well over $30 each now instead of $14-15.
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 46
Actually American CD prices are were attractive compared to European prices, or at least Scandinavian prices. For new releases we pay around $25, with the current exchange rate, at a retailer. Normally one can find a better price on the net. You can get used for around $10 and sometimes less.

I think the CD prices is what really drives illegal copies. At least here. If prices was lowered here, to US standards ($10-15 for a new CD), I think more people would obtain their CD's legally. It should be obvious to anybody that an artist doesn't earn more money on the CD sold in Denmark despite the price being higher, so the record companies and governments are the ones who makes big bucks on this. Of course I don't mind paying a bit extra for Danish music since it's a smaller marked.

Oct 16, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
I think the CD prices is what really drives illegal copies. At least here. If prices was lowered here, to US standards ($10-15 for a new CD), I think more people would obtain their CD's legally.

Actually i think a huge chunk of illegal downloading is probably done here in the States since we have such a large PC user base. I do recall hearing recently that Wal Mart is pushing for a $10 price tag which may lead to other retailers following their suit.

Oct 16, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 46
While the retail price can always be beat on line or by going used, the local store still charges the full $18.99 or so. I get tired of paying that much. Sure, the indie labels sell for less, and some of the oldies are priced lower. I feel it would be nice if I could simply go downtown and pick up a CD without feeling like I am being gouged.

Oct 17, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Actually i think a huge chunk of illegal downloading is probably done here in the States since we have such a large PC user base. I do recall hearing recently that Wal Mart is pushing for a $10 price tag which may lead to other retailers following their suit.

It probably has more to do with the availability of broadband, since only with broadband you can download serious amounts of high quality music, I think western europe has even higher broadband usage compared to the already high U.S. numbers.
A very big chain of music stores in the netherlands has drastically reduced most of their prices recently in some sort of panic.
Nothing like walking in a store and suddenly paying 10 euro's or less for former "full price" (25 euro, about 30 dollars) cd's, I'm not complaining.

Oct 17, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 46
I definetly think that they are too expensive. A set price of $10 would do very nicely. Thats why I prefer to purchase them off Ebay.

Oct 17, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 46
I hate the fact that I can't buy my music from a indi record store all the time because the prices are so high. I usually go to best buy where most cds are around 12.99. I just recently have gone on a radiohead jag and the prices for thier cds where 18.00+ anywhere else. Hope this helps. aaron

Oct 17, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 46
in sydney we have $10 CD shop that sells all genuine CDs, brand new for 10 bucks.
although they dont have massive selection, but they have lots of CD.
just picked up LOTR return of the king OST from them yesterday (for AUS$10 brand new).
dont know how they can sell it so cheap... might be overrstock or something...

option B is to go to my favourite second hand cd shop, excellent range of CDs.... very cheap and most CDs are in mint condition.

i dont usually pay normal price for CD. too expensive.

Oct 17, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 46
I do not mind paying full price for a quality cd. The problem surfaces when record companies release cd's with just a few quality tracks and the remainder is filler garbage. The artists/record companies hold back releasing better tracks, to release further albums under the same practice. This is the main issue, and the consumer feels ripped off, as they should.

Oct 17, 2004 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 46
Well seeing as I don't listen to so-called "Top 40" artists and listen mostly to electronica/trip-hop, I have no problem supporting the artists and the labels who produce for them. I like contributing to such lesser-known artists that actually make music I enjoy instead of mainstream junk that pisses off everyone.

That said, I don't like paying more than $10 for a CD. Usually get stuff used online, especially if it's a CD that's already been released. CDs that have a future release date, I get on release week at the lowest price possible, be it at Best Buy, Circuit City, et al...

Oct 17, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 46
I find the scandinavian 22euro (over 25$) prices too high, but then again, smaller labels sell their albums for around 15euros, and I'm ok with such price. I really feel like people in the U.S have nothing to complain about the prices.

Oct 17, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #14 of 46
PD and GlowWorm
Why are you guys buying CDs that you pay $18-20!
You need to shop online or find a different store, Best Buy has all new Cds $13.99-14.99 not on sale and cheaper on sales. There are cheaper places than Best Buy also to buy new Cds everyday especially if you order online.

Many large online sites have music samples, check them out before you buy if you are unsure about album.

Oct 17, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #15 of 46
The newest "Rolling Stone" has an interesting article called, "Wal-Mart Battles Labels Over CD Prices." There is a graphic in the article that shows that for a $15.99 CD $3.89 goes to "Retail Overhead;" $2.91 goes to "Label Overhead;" $2.40 to "Marketing Overhead;" $1.70 to "Label Profit;" $1.60 to "Artists Royalties;" $0.90 to "Distribution;" $0.80 to "Retail Profit;" $0.82 to "Publshing Royalties;" $0.80 to "Packaging/Manufacturing, and $0.17 to "Musicians Unions." I absolutely love when record labels blame the iPod and downloading as the root of the recording industry's problems. Greed is at the root of the recording industry's problems.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back