DO NOT BUY SMSL PRODUCTS! SPECIALLY SMSL M2 USB DAC
Apr 9, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #16 of 29
Hate to grave dig, but if you still have the device, perhaps I could help. I am not sure how tech savvy you are, but the first thing I noticed is you didn't check to see what the error message was in the device manager...you may have done that but showing us the message would help. The first and foremost thing I would suggest doing is trying the device on a different computer, if it works there then it's not the device. Regardless of the result I would suggest uninstalling the driver and resinstalling it buy going into the device manager and right clicking on the device and selecting uninstall. Restart your computer if necessary and plug the device back in, then install the firmware again as that could solve the issue. Sometimes drivers don't get installed correctly, or the registry entry is messed up, among other things. If that doesn't work, I suggest starting here and looking up device not recognized threads to see if you can find a solution: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/871233

Otherwise, don't assume that because a product isn't working that it is broken, and certainly don't claim the product is trash and tell others not to buy it as that will get you absolutely nowhere. What people need to understand is that the manufacturing process is not perfect, there is guaranteed to be faulty products regardless of how good their QA team is. You take the risk of getting a faulty product with every single purchase you make. 

Also, sometimes drivers actually do not get selected when applying them. It probably shouldn't be saying USB Composite Device unless the driver doesn't change the name as it usually does. Thus, you can try going into the device manager, finding the device, eight click, update driver, select browse my computer for driver software, hit let me pick from a list of device drivers from my computer and see if there are any other options, if so select the other option and it will apply that driver. You can even select drivers that aren't even supposed to go with the device from this interface, for example, I have a mouse that has garbage range (a half a meter from the receiver causes jitters) and am testing different drivers to see if they fix the issue...I'm using a Logitech driver right now even though it is an entirely different brand. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #17 of 29
Hi all..

I've read all the comments, all are valid opinions I guess. I think the 'Chinese' syndrome still seems to linger quite a bit still. And, granted there are products and arenas where buying 'MADE IN CHINA' products can be risky, but at the end of the day most products are made there anyway by companies having to adhere to stringent fabrication standards.

SMSL go on to say (in a little broken English)..

"Our company adhering to policy of "quality-based, technology-guidance, customer central", strictly execute the Electronics Industry rules(EICC), and passed the CE, FCC, RoHS, CE-EMC, CE-LVD, WEEE certification."

I'm happy to share (not specificly the SMSL M2 USB DAC) my experience with SMSL as well as Chinese units.

My first SMSL unit. the SA-98E wired direct to my faithful iPod classic 240gig (mod) paired with the older KEF Coda-7s displayed more guts than you can shake a stick at. It after a fair period of use confidently convinced me to the next SMSL unit/setup.

And more in relevant conversation..

I'm now running the full mini-rig  SMSL P1 (LPS) + VMV-VA2 Amp + M8 DAC which came with a pair of shorter SMSL RCA cables (which are pretty nice to). IEMs are currently Sennheiser IE80s. And just for kicks running the mains power to the P1 via a Weiduka AC2.2 power filter.

In my honest opinion, I'm massively amazed, pleasantly surprised, satisfyingly grateful for this rig in my audio room and office. As point of price is highly attractive, you'd be doing yourself in on a favour to your ears, if not at least taking a listen if possible.

I hope this reads like an honest point of perspective for both Chinese units as well as the SMSL brand.
If anything it is my reflection of the mini-rig as discussed on its own merit.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #19 of 29
SMSL has long had a history of reliability issues. Unfortunately, their products tend to get hyped by newbies who don't know this.

I was thinking of buying the SMSL for $64 on Amazon I mean Aluminum body and all sorts of fancy parts but then I figured there has to be a catch. When you type in this brand on youtube you immediately get videos complaining about failure rather than a review.

Good thing I didn't buy this I guess you get what you pay for

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #20 of 29
I was thinking of buying the SMSL for $64 on Amazon I mean Aluminum body and all sorts of fancy parts but then I figured there has to be a catch. When you type in this brand on youtube you immediately get videos complaining about failure rather than a review.

Good thing I didn't buy this I guess you get what you pay for

A few years back before that post, I was looking into t-amps and which one to buy. There's a forum (I can't remember where) devoted to t-amps. Engineering types were taking them apart and analyzing them. The SMSL t-amp was not using great electronics compared to Topping (which has a great reputation) and Indeed (not as well know, but I went with that). Good bet that's how they often manage to undercut the competition. Definitely seems a pay for what you get situation, and it's really not that much more for brands that have excellent reputations.

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #21 of 29
I agree wholeheartedly about the subjective nature of most recommendations here. However that does not invalidate them automatically or entirely. And of course negative recommendations are equally subjective when not supported by data. Again, this in no way entirely invalidates those negative opinions or the cautions against purchase. It merely leaves the reader lost. For what it's worth I don't think very highly of the SMSL amp I just received in terms of how it sounds with my DACs, but I really can't complain about presentation, build quality etc ......yet.

Some links to credible reviews, posts, or data would be welcome.

I dunno what you are on, I just asked a simple question about SMSL reliability on Amazon and I got a response with 1 guy who bought 4 of their products and only 1 has survived after just 1 year.

That in itself is more than enough to go by that SMSL have serious reliability issues these people probably have like a 50% failure rate so its dishonest and reckless to recommend this brand to anyone

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #22 of 29
A few years back before that post, I was looking into t-amps and which one to buy. There's a forum (I can't remember where) devoted to t-amps. Engineering types were taking them apart and analyzing them. The SMSL t-amp was not using great electronics compared to Topping (which has a great reputation) and Indeed (not as well know, but I went with that). Good bet that's how they often manage to undercut the competition. Definitely seems a pay for what you get situation, and it's really not that much more for brands that have excellent reputations.

Yeah I dunno whats wrong with some of these fan boys on this site, acting like professors here. I suspect they are Hillary supporters aswell since they seem incapable of using a little bit of commonsense and have to rely on scientific data for a case such as this which they will never have when the only thing we have at our disposal for this situation is some commonsense.

Offcourse there is no real way to determine what is the % failure rate of SMSL products but its safe to say when one types in a SMSL dac on youtube and gets more videos about it failing than you get of people reviewing it, its time to worry. I asked this question on Amazon about SMSL reliability and one guy responded to me and said he bought 4 of these amps and only 1 has survived after a year. All the positive reviews are from people who has only owned the product for a month or so they post these reviews immediately. This is why Newegg reviews states the length of time the owner has owned the product it is a better system than Amazon. There are endless complaints about this brand failing in exactly 8 months or after 1 year or DOA this is a pattern.

That alone is frightening to say the least. How could anybody even recommend SMSL when its clear that they are selling lemons, heck the amount of SMSL products that come dead on arrival is another scary one. Whatever SMSL are doing to undercut the competition is directly responsible for this crazy failure rate. Buying from these people is a serious RISK and a low chance the thing will even be functioning after 1 year.

Now there is the argument that Chinese workers work for 50 cents an hour so thats why they can undercut SCHIIT which is made in USA. But the reality is that SCHIIT has one of the cheapest prices and they do compete easily with these Chinese companies. Chinese products aren't cheaper than American products, the extra profit goes into the pockets of the owners or shareholders of these businesses its basic principles of business. This is why if Trump forces manufacturing back into the US it will not affect price. But if companies can capitalize on it in anyway to justify for selling for a higher price they will, if the market is willing to pay the price then the price will be as high as it can.

Whatever SMSL is doing is bad because the consumer is the one suffering here. I think it is reckless to recommend this brand to any newbie.

Have a look at these reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-M2-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00KL3SACQ?th=1

LOL and its the very same pattern for all their products. You know how a lot of products will have low rating because the buyer is a noob and cannot operate it properly? well SMSL as you can notice their poor ratings come from failure of the product. I have seen other brand of DAC and Amp with poor rating from people who say they can't hear a difference or the sound isn't as they expected but SMSL? boy its product stopped working at X amount of time. No sound from right channel, popping or cracking noise and the list goes on.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #25 of 29
I look at these products, and I am absolutely amazed that they can be manufactured, sold and shipped from China to anywhere in the world for $65. As was pointed out, shipping alone is $20-30, so that means manufacturing, selling and profit must all be covered for $35-$45. It just baffles me how that business model works - the SMSL are by no means the cheapest products in the segment.

Slave labour in the factories.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #28 of 29
Coincidentally I purchased an SMSL sAp II desktop amp which arrived this week. I had previously read positive comments about the item but also negative comments about SMSL build quality and design. Obviously I can't comment on my new amp's longevity but it does work as described. I bought mine via amazon.co.uk market place from SHENZHENAUDIOUK (shenzhen longruixiang trade co.ltd). They were easy to deal with, emailing me promptly and offering a choice of gold or black units, and despatching my choice very shortly after I replied. It arrived on the earliest estimated date. There are several SMSL vendors on amazon.co.uk. To select one I read my tea leaves, consulted an astrologer, gutted a pigeon and interpreted its entrails, and finally decided on the vendor who was much cheaper than all the others and offering free shipping too. It's a foolproof method. Being something of a fool I favour foolproof methods and they work well for me.

I think one crappy experience from ali baba, the world's most fabulous and notorious escrow scam and counterfeit goods site, is hardly the basis for taking against a particular brand or manufacturer. Nor do I think my, so far, satisfactory experience of SMSL and SHENZHENAUDIOUK makes for a cast iron recommendation. But anyway I would not discourage anyone from trying an SMSL product
If it's sold or fulfilled by Amazon then replacements and returns are easier to process.
I purchased the smsl sap11 straight from china for $24,U.S over five years ago.I listen to it almost daily and drive it hard.To date nothing has failed on this little gem.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #29 of 29
Aliexpress always seemed ghetto AF to me, that may be your issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back