Do not buy Darkvoice/Audiophilechina.com - Power Switch Broken
Dec 10, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #16 of 22
It's pretty impressive looking under the hood, I encourage anyone else to look at it. About 2/3 of it is point to point wiring, and it has some very beefy looking caps and resistors inside it. Sure was fun hacking into it, I feel like Patrick82. Now i'm going to take apart the power cable and insulate each of its conductors, not that it really has more than two + ground.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #17 of 22
Seeing that you're pretty impressed and happy with it after all, don't you think it might be appropriate to tone down your title a bit?

I'm not familiar with their products but to be fair, you did not even attempt to contact them before blaming them and calling their product crappy. "Do not buy ..." seems rather harsh and unwarranted based on one unfortunate incident. Defects and damages do happen, especially considering they were shipped half way around the globe. So easy to fire off blames just because they were made in China, deservedly or not.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #18 of 22
Eh, I'm dumb and it's not letting me rename the thread.

I'm going to try another 30 hours on the new modeltung-sol preamp tube, but it has some serious hum, and it's not recommended. That is, unless Skylab (since it's one of his favorite tubes, which he recommended) can assure me that it's just needing a full break in.

I don't think anyone should be too afraid to buy this amp. The power toggle does seem fundamentally flimsy, like anything could break it, and if it arrives in one piece i suggest keeping it perma on and switching it on and off with a power bar. It wasn't that hard to connect the power wires though to make it work, just strip, twist, tape it up, and there you have it. I was too lazy to use some nice crimp action.

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, I'm dumb and it's not letting me rename the thread.

Edit the first post and change the title of the post. First post title = thread title.

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #20 of 22
What Kees said, hit the "Edit" button on your first post, then "Go Advanced" and you can edit the title.

On another note, living in Japan, if I buy American made gear, it's a huge cost for me to return things if they go wrong too.

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my crappy 336SE arrived today.

After 2 weeks of waiting.

And the power switch was flopping around like a limp weenie as soon as i opened the package. After trying to get it to flip one way or the other, it simply cracked off, leaving a nub-like thing in the socket.

I'm going to have to remove the front faceplate and try to switch it on somehow; I'm not spending upwards of $100 and another 1-2 months of waiting to send the piece of shxt back to China.

Any suggestions? I'm already pretty sure I voided the warranty by opening the under-panel and looking around, unless I figure out a way to reprint the little white warranty stickers. As I said, I'm not mailing it back, I'm fixing it myself.

Either I fix the toggle switch, have someone help me install a new toggle, or I figure out a way to connect the power directly and bypass the switch, so that the amp is always-on when it's plugged in.

Thoughts?

The same thing happened to me when I ordered the 336i a few years back. The power switch was jammed/rendered inoperable. Why Darkvoice doesn't refit their amps with a rear rocker switch, I don't know. That cheap, perilously protruding power switch is an issue, especially with the long trip and the kind of handling/potential packing and unpacking by customs ruffians this amp typically sees.

Can you grasp the nub-like remaider of the switch piece enough to see if the switch itself still works?

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #22 of 22
Check out this ebay item . It's a DPST Toggle Switch that will might physically fit your amp. Comes in a package of 2 for $1.65. Rated 6 amps at 125 volts VAC .If your original switch has 2 or 4 wires, this switch will work electrically

Info:

This is a DPST on-off (2 pole single throw) ON-Off toggle switch as pictured below. Shipping cost will be $2.95 for the first switch and $0.05 for each additional (M) series switch purchases and shipped to the US or Canada. Switch is rated at 6 Amp 125 VAC with a mechanical life of 20,000 cycles or more. Switch mounts in a 1/4 inch hole and has solder type terminals.

Miniature DPST Toggle Switch On-Off Pack of 2 M201 - eBay (item 200285225759 end time Dec-13-08 18:54:33 PST)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back