1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DO NOT BUY asus xonar essence stx if you have an ATI 5xxx video card

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by joe2, Oct 12, 2010.
First

Back
  1. davidc2
    Thanks.  Can you point me to the FTP link please?  I've seen the other web page but it's a mess and the download links there look dodgy.

2. davidc2
    Whoops - I see it now...

3. alien3456
    My system:
    Two HD5850s in CrossfireX, latest official Catalyst drivers.
    Asus Xonar Essence STX, official Beta drivers (May '10)
    700W Corsair power supply
    MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard w/ 8GB ddr3 gskill ram & Phenom II X6 1055T
    PCI-E Intel gigabit nic
    3 Hard Drives, 1 Solid State drive, lots of fans

So I have four cards installed which doesn't allow room for anymore, and a lot of stuff in my computer which uses a lot of power. Haven't experienced a single blue screen. I actually haven't had any problems at all with the sound card other than being annoyed by the graphical driver config program.

I'd imagine this has nothing to do with the Xonar and 5xxx cards, but rather the motherboard's bandwidth for PCI devices, or the additional power draw from a powerful video card and sound card that requires extra power.

4. dlaloum
    One of the solutions - also a tweak to improve sound - is to provide seperate power supplies for different parts of the PC.

1) Provide a seperate power supply for "dirty" items (CD/DVD, Hard Drives)
    2) Provide a seperate PSU for the CPU power connector
    3) Provide a seperate (preferably linear) PSU for the sound card

see: http://www.cicsmemoryplayer.com/

Mind you for your BSOD issue - power is probably not the problem...

5. bcschmerker4
    My own Asus® CM1630-06 packs an updated consist from the problem consist, as I use an EAH6850 DirectCU® video card under Microsoft® Windows® 7.0.8001 (MultiProcessor Kernel 6.1.7601), and immediately adjacent to the XONAR® due to a design issue with the CM1630's stock M4A78L-M LE (viz., PCI-Express x1 and x16 next each other and the end PCI 2.2 unusable due to the EAH6850DC's cooling requirements).  Once I had the correct drivers for Win2008R2 and Win 7 (be advised that Windows 6.1 and 7.0 require different drivers from 6.0; Asus® has the OS-correct driver WinRAR's on their Website), the only BSOD I had, due to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\nvlddmkm.sys losing sync with the system configuration ("DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"), interrupted the required restart; I have had no OS-wide fatal errors since.

First

Back