Do MP3 encoders sound different?
May 27, 2005 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LFC_SL

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondered, since MP3 is meant to be a standard, do different encoders sound different? Taking into account same bit rates, no EQ and all that. If so, is there a "best" encoder?

I'm aware of EAC+ Lame but don't have the patience or HD space for all those uncompressed files

May 27, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

I'm aware of EAC+ Lame

This is the best that I have found. 256kb, joint stereo with quality most important option.

May 27, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 6
there is a big difference in the codecs. some sound great at certain bit rates, while others sound like trash. i'm not a big fan of the original frauenhoffer codec, but i really like LAME. i think that using the paranoid modes in EAC is a waste of time for MP3's. i use AAC personally, but if i used MP3's i would use itunes and the LAME plug in to make them.

May 28, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 6
FhG is so-so and Blade and Xing are crap. So use LAME.

May 28, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Just wondered, since MP3 is meant to be a standard, do different encoders sound different? Taking into account same bit rates, no EQ and all that. If so, is there a "best" encoder?

Yes, they are all different. You can read about different tests done on each codec here:
Hydrogen Audio

But to save you some time, I am just going to tell you that using LAME 3.90.3/3.96.1 with one of the --alt-presets is the best compromise between sound quality and file size.

Go here if you need help setting it up:
Chris Myden's Best MP3 Guide

Quote:

I'm aware of EAC+ Lame but don't have the patience or HD space for all those uncompressed files

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. LAME encoded mp3's are lossy files, meaning compressed. Are you talking about the temporary WAV files generated from EAC before they are compressed? Those uncompressed WAV files should be deleted by EAC after they are compressed. If you don't have enough room for the temp WAVs, I can't see another option other than clearing some space off of your HD or buying a new one. That is a necessary step, especially if you are taking advantage of EAC's Secure Mode, which is what makes it superior to every other CD ripper out there.

May 28, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
LAME encoded mp3's are lossy files, meaning compressed. Are you talking about the temporary WAV files generated from EAC before they are compressed? Those uncompressed WAV files should be deleted by EAC after they are compressed. If you don't have enough room for the temp WAVs, I can't see another option other than clearing some space off of your HD or buying a new one. That is a necessary step, especially if you are taking advantage of EAC's Secure Mode, which is what makes it superior to every other CD ripper out there.

cheers
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back