Do interconnectors really matter or not?
Jun 10, 2002 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jkim

New Head-Fier
Forgive me for my bad english.
I have two interconnectors.
One is wireword tera 3 about $20 and one is really cheap connector about 80 cents
80 cent is just for test.
I wonder expensive interconnectors are really worth the price.
Someone says tera 3 is enough and someone says expensive connectors are worth the price.
The opinion that expensive connectors are not needed is dominant the internet sites I visit frequently
80 cents connector is really bad compared to tera 3. it make worse the disadvantage of Grado. it is bad in high tone.
Please let me know tera 3 is enough or If I can expect better sound quality with more expensive connectors.
I don't have enough money to do trial and error for connectors.
I am using Arcam CD72 + RA-1 + sr325 (Corda + hd600)
And another questions. Why interrconnectors are uni-directional? I think it is just cable with plugs.
Thanks.

Jun 10, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 18
You do not want to know the can of worms you just opened....

Jun 10, 2002 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 18
If there is a 6 foot high flashing neon sign saying "Pandora", DON'T open.

And yes, good interconnects make a difference. Point of "Diminishing Returns" might be reached fairly quickly, and every quality IC has its own characteristics.

That old ultimate goal for an amp "straight wire with gain" as applied to IC's would be "straight wire with nothing". Neither exists as yet.

If you're happy with your Tera's, relax and enjoy. If you're not happy, prepare to experiment.

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet.

Jun 10, 2002 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 18
Yes the do make a difference but you have to keep synergy in mind.

Adding some $500 interconnects to your Coby mini-system isn't going to make it sound any better.

The better the source, the more difference you'll appreciate with regards to interconnects.

Even amongst better quality systems the differences between interconnects may not be very pronounced. Your ears also play a factor in this.

And it's VERY true that the point of diminishing returns is reached very quickly here.

I think the best deal overall these days are the outlaw interconnects (search for outlaw). They get great reviews and are priced fairly reasonable... About the same as any of Monster's decent options and they should blow the Monsters away!

Now that I mentioned Monster... They have some OK stuff but all of thier crap is overpriced as hell. I think the Radio Shack golds offer a better value than most of the Monster's you'll find at Best Buy.

Jun 10, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 18
FIRE IN THE HOLE!

lol, do what a lot of us have decided on doing: just get some Outlaw PCAs. Their not THAT expensive, $40 shipped for .5 M for me, and hey, if people compare them to cables costing hundreds. . .

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
FIRE IN THE HOLE!

lol, do what a lot of us have decided on doing: just get some Outlaw PCAs. Their not THAT expensive, $40 shipped for .5 M for me, and hey, if people compare them to cables costing hundreds. . .

But don't some people also compare the 80 cent cables with the $200 cables and say there is no difference??
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 18
Well, yes, any cord will sound better than a nonexistent one.

rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 18
I've unplugged every interconnect and power cable from my system and perceived the following improvements:

Blacker blacks
Lower noise floor
Less grain
More space between the musicians
Less digital edge/hash

Jun 11, 2002 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 18
GET OUT OF THERE IT'S GONNA BLOW!

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 11, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I've unplugged every interconnect and power cable from my system and perceived the following improvements:

Blacker blacks
Lower noise floor
Less grain
More space between the musicians
Less digital edge/hash

Hmmm, I tried that once and heard nothing. Man, your good!
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER

Hmmm, I tried that once and heard nothing. Man, your good!
biggrin.gif

You're one of those half-empty people, aren't you?
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2002 at 8:42 AM Post #13 of 18
Someone get the Fire Department ready to cool the flames...

Jun 12, 2002 at 11:23 AM Post #15 of 18
Well, it's possible to take a coat hanger, solder some RCAs on the ends and you would probably still get sound. Maybe a pipe would work too.

Would that still be called an IC or a pathway for electricity? btw, 'Smooth Jazz' isn't Jazz
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back