do i sell all my headphones for one decent pair?
Apr 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

cambam

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody
i have amassed a few cans over time and listen to them all at different times and enjoy each of them but they are all middle to upper end models and am considering consolidating to one uber pair?
i have  
grado 325i
senn hd650 blue dragon 
beyer dt990 pro 600ohm
ultrasone pro900

as i mentioned i enjoy them all but only have one set of ears so am thinking something like beyer t1,lcd2/3 grado ps1000

what i want to know is it really that big of a jump from the level of cans i own to the upper end models to warrant the move?
also not having heard any of them myself which would you choose?
thanks in advance

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 43

Quote:
Hello everybody
i have amassed a few cans over time and listen to them all at different times and enjoy each of them but they are all middle to upper end models and am considering consolidating to one uber pair?
i have  
grado 325i
senn hd650 blue dragon 
beyer dt990 pro 600ohm
ultrasone pro900

as i mentioned i enjoy them all but only have one set of ears so am thinking something like beyer t1,lcd2/3 grado ps1000

what i want to know is it really that big of a jump from the level of cans i own to the upper end models to warrant the move?
thanks in advance

You're in Melbourne - so get down to Addicted To Audio, talk to George, and audition the LCD2, LCD3, T1, HD800 for yourself.  He has Stax there as well.  That way, you can tell with your ears whether its worth it for you to change.

(http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/Audiophile-High-End)

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 43
You did not mention what other equipment/music sources you have on the "equipment line" ending with your can/cans.  Assuming this will produce the quality of sound that will justify the next level of headphones (if not--your inquiry is over and you stay with what you have), it becomes a matter of personal choice.  Is the incremental difference worth the cost?

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 43

Quote:
Hello everybody
i have  
grado 325i
senn hd650 blue dragon 
beyer dt990 pro 600ohm
ultrasone pro900

thanks in advance

Heya,

I would sell the 325i, HD650 and DT990. With that alone you can get a Hifiman HE-500. Keep the PRO900 maybe, it's a bass canon and no high end will be similar or replace that.

Very best,

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 43

Quote:
You're in Melbourne - so get down to Addicted To Audio, talk to George, and audition the LCD2, LCD3, T1, HD800 for yourself.  He has Stax there as well.  That way, you can tell with your ears whether its worth it for you to change.

(http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/Audiophile-High-End)

If you can try them out for yourself, see what you like before you start selling everything so you dont spend all your money on headphones you dont like that much.

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 43
Why not be a hoarder and "collect 'em all?" J/K

I sold my T1 and will be getting the LCD-2 w/ Q cable. If the poster who I was speaking with for 2 weeks about the HD800 decides to sell me his, I will have the D700, AD2000, LCD-2 Rev 2, and the HD800. (Along with the  little things I have bought: AD700, M-50, Dre Beats Pro/Studio, SR125i)

The damn HD800 started my journey with its stupid ad....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HQGtBF-E9o

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 43

Quote:
The damn HD800 started my journey with its stupid ad....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HQGtBF-E9o

As an audiophile, I could barely stand to listen to that ad. It sounds like it has been constantly downsampled, and now is in something like 32kbps audio.

The HD800 starting my striving for the top end, too, when I first heard it at my local Hi-Fi shop.

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #11 of 43
I haven't owned many of the flagships. I did own the he500 though. It's excellent but I sold it. It may be my frugal nature but ultimately I've been disappointed in flagship models. You get 90-95% of the sound with "mid-fi" if you wan to  call it that. And you have a diversity to listen to. 

So for me the he400's are slightly beneath the he500's at a lower price and I prefer the sound of them also. my2c

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #12 of 43
You can keep buying these mid-fi headphones (HE500, AH-D5000, HD650, DT series), you will remain as midfier forever.

I say you should ditch all the "mid-end" headphones and get serious with "high-end" headphones.

I can only recommend to stay away from LCD2, this can is very uncomfortable (not sure about LCD3), not going to buy that unless Audeze change the design, maybe I wait for LCD4 :). T1 is very comfortable, HD800 is hmmmmm, it's ok, not comfortable as Denon or beyers.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 43
I'd say sell them and go for a top tier phone.  Since I got my T1 I hardly listen to my other headphones at all, and when I do it's typically just to compare.

I'll be doing the same shortly, and selling off most of my lower end gear that doesn't get used much anymore in favor of giving the LCD2's a try.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #15 of 43

Quote:
You can keep buying these mid-fi headphones (HE500, AH-D5000, HD650, DT series), you will remain as midfier forever.

I say you should ditch all the "mid-end" headphones and get serious with "high-end" headphones.

I can only recommend to stay away from LCD2, this can is very uncomfortable (not sure about LCD3), not going to buy that unless Audeze change the design, maybe I wait for LCD4
smily_headphones1.gif
. T1 is very comfortable, HD800 is hmmmmm, it's ok, not comfortable as Denon or beyers.

I definitely find the HD800 much more comfortable than the T1. What makes you say otherwise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back