Do I really need a subwoofer for Audioengine A2+
Feb 5, 2018 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I got my audioengine a2+ few months ago I'm quite happy with it. I just wanna know do I really need an audioengine S8 to pair it? will it be really worth to do so? I know it probably will improve bass but is it really worth $350? Please tell me what you think. A2+ is the first high end speaker I've got so far, I've never tried other high end speakers before. I really wanna know any info from ppl have or had use this speaker set before I go ahead to spend that $350. Thanks.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 18
Feb 7, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 18
You might this comparison between the A2 and A5's interesting as it gives you an idea what moving up to a bigger speaker is likely to bring. It also looks at how low the frequencies can go and the channel does similar tests with other speakers so you can get an idea of the impact of adding a subwoofer as well.

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 18
You might this comparison between the A2 and A5's interesting as it gives you an idea what moving up to a bigger speaker is likely to bring. It also looks at how low the frequencies can go and the channel does similar tests with other speakers so you can get an idea of the impact of adding a subwoofer as well.

Hi my desk is not big enough to have the A5. So I just stick with a2. So what you're saying is adding a subwoofer will improve alot?

Feb 7, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 18
a subwoofer will improve a 2.0 ALOT. i just went from a 2.0 to a 2.1 and the difference was big. you can add any subwoofer to the A2+. i would recommend just going with something like a Dayton Sub-1000 or Emotiva Basx s8. you don't need to spend $350 on the Audioengine sub, unless you're very picking about your gear being perfectly matched. the Dayton sub is a 10" $130 and the Emotive is an 8" for $200. both are well regarded for smaller rooms, for a good price.

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 18
I got my audioengine a2+ few months ago I'm quite happy with it. I just wanna know do I really need an audioengine S8 to pair it? will it be really worth to do so? I know it probably will improve bass but is it really worth $350? Please tell me what you think. A2+ is the first high end speaker I've got so far, I've never tried other high end speakers before. I really wanna know any info from ppl have or had use this speaker set before I go ahead to spend that $350.

You're better off spending $350 plus proceeds from selling the A2+ and getting speakers with larger drivers than adding a subwoofer since:

1. If the sub doesn't have a high pass filter for the A2+, the still bloated bass out of those - thanks to the box tuning that forces the tiny drivers to produce as much of them as they can without overexcursion (which doesn't mean it doesn't have any other distortion) - will still be coming out of the A2+.

2. Even if they have a high pass filter, you now have another problem - bass localization. The higher the low pass filter setting on the subwoofer to catch where the A2+ trails off, the easier it will be to localize. If you can't put it dead center at the same height as the A2+ (ie if this is a nearfield system built around a computer that would be behind your display or the laptop) chances are you'd hear the bass coming from or fading out to wherever the sub is - to the left or right farther out than either A2+ speaker, below the table, etc.

I had the HiVi D1080 MkII 08 before and with both door closed and the speakers cranked up from the Burson Soloist preamp output I can hear the bass on songs like the ones below pounding while taking a shower across the hall (that's two doors and a hallway between me and the speakers).

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 18
a subwoofer will improve a 2.0 ALOT. i just went from a 2.0 to a 2.1 and the difference was big. you can add any subwoofer to the A2+. i would recommend just going with something like a Dayton Sub-1000 or Emotiva Basx s8. you don't need to spend $350 on the Audioengine sub, unless you're very picking about your gear being perfectly matched. the Dayton sub is a 10" $130 and the Emotive is an 8" for $200. both are well regarded for smaller rooms, for a good price.
I just got Dayton Sub-1000, Can you tell me how to hooks it up to my A2+? I have no idea how to do it. Thanks!

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 18
I just got Dayton Sub-1000, Can you tell me how to hooks it up to my A2+? I have no idea how to do it. Thanks!

Get an audio cable with RCA L/R jacks and connect the LINE OUT on the back of the A2+ to the LINE IN on the Subwoofer. Adjust filters and levels to taste. BTW, my A2+ speakers took a long time to break-in and the mids and bass really improved after about 100 hours, and yes, adding the sub will help the sound get low. Also FWIW, I find with sub-woofer levels, less can be more, and experiment with placement if possible.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 18
Get an audio cable with RCA L/R jacks and connect the LINE OUT on the back of the A2+ to the LINE IN on the Subwoofer. Adjust filters and levels to taste. BTW, my A2+ speakers took a long time to break-in and the mids and bass really improved after about 100 hours, and yes, adding the sub will help the sound get low. Also FWIW, I find with sub-woofer levels, less can be more, and experiment with placement if possible.
If I do that there won't be extra Line out to connect to my computer with my A2+.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 18
If I do that there won't be extra Line out to connect to my computer with my A2+.

Take a look at the back of the A2+ and you'll see what I'm referring to. You would connect your computer LINE OUT to the A2+ LINE IN (on the back), and then connect the A2+ LINE OUT to the the LINE IN on the subwoofer. Alternatively, you can run a USB from your computer to the A2+ instead of the computer speaker out, and utilize the internal DAC on the A2+. Volume would be controlled via a knob on the back of the A2+ versus the computer control. I ran this setup (MacMini > A2+ USB) before I got a Schiit modi 2 multibit DAC and Magni 3 headphone/pre-amp. The A2+ DAC is decent and maybe better than your computer unless you've an upgraded soundcard, and in that case, I would use the soundcard output over the A2+ DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #11 of 18
Take a look at the back of the A2+ and you'll see what I'm referring to. You would connect your computer LINE OUT to the A2+ LINE IN (on the back), and then connect the A2+ LINE OUT to the the LINE IN on the subwoofer. Alternatively, you can run a USB from your computer to the A2+ instead of the computer speaker out, and utilize the internal DAC on the A2+. Volume would be controlled via a knob on the back of the A2+ versus the computer control. I ran this setup (MacMini > A2+ USB) before I got a Schiit modi 2 multibit DAC and Magni 3 headphone/pre-amp. The A2+ DAC is decent and maybe better than your computer unless you've an upgraded soundcard, and in that case, I would use the soundcard output over the A2+ DAC.
But I'm using ASUS sound card to connect to my a2+ it does not have USB slot.

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 18
But I'm using ASUS sound card to connect to my a2+ it does not have USB slot.

Just use your ASUS sound card and that will work great. For future reference, I was referring to a standard computer USB port, and that would require loading a driver for the A2+, bypassing the on-board sound in the computer.

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #13 of 18
Just use your ASUS sound card and that will work great. For future reference, I was referring to a standard computer USB port, and that would require loading a driver for the A2+, bypassing the on-board sound in the computer.

So How do I connect it to the sound card if the line out from a2+ is connected to the sub,

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #14 of 18

So How do I connect it to the sound card if the line out from a2+ is connected to the sub,

I don't understand what's hard to understand about his explanation, he did just say look at the back panel.

In any case, try looking at it here with even more detailed labeling that manufacturers don't have the space for.
005.JPG

Sub1000.jpg

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 18
I don't understand what's hard to understand about his explanation, he did just say look at the back panel.

In any case, try looking at it here with even more detailed labeling that manufacturers don't have the space for.

Ur right my bad I didnt check back of a2+.... It seems will work, I just have to wait my audio cable to arrives. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back