Do I need to buy a Headphone Amp?
Aug 2, 2017 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HifiTheStuff

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I own a beyerdynamic DT1770 PRO(250 Ω) and a beyerdynamic T70P(32 Ω) do I need to buy a Headphone amp?
I want exceptional Audio experience, but I don't want to spend more than 400$ for a amp. Right now I power my headphones with my PC(Sound Blaster Z). Yesterday I bought a Asus Essence STX II soundcard. Bad Idea?
I heard only good things about that soundcard. Also in my opinion the Sound Blaster Z is loudness wise not enough...

Any suggestions?

I'm looking forward to your help.

- HifiTheStuff

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the help.
What are your Sony MDR's like. Thought about buying them, how do they compare to the beyerdynamic T1? What are the strengths and weaknesses? they look so nice! :D
It's the total opposite of T1. Z1R signature is warm and bassy. Not fatiguing at all, and fun sounding.

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 10
Your sound card should be just fine ☺ A nice amp might bring out better dynamics and a standalone dac will probably help bring out more detail but with your headphones, I don't think the extra money would be quite worth it unless you get bored with your soundcard. What is the power output of your soundcard into 250ohms, if you know? The Magni 2 puts out 800mW I think so you can use that as a guide to decide if you should upgrade.

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 10
Your sound card should be just fine ☺ A nice amp might bring out better dynamics and a standalone dac will probably help bring out more detail but with your headphones, I don't think the extra money would be quite worth it unless you get bored with your soundcard. What is the power output of your soundcard into 250ohms, if you know? The Magni 2 puts out 800mW I think so you can use that as a guide to decide if you should upgrade.
Thanks for the reply! :)
I don't know the power output...How do I find out? How would I connect the amp with my computer? If I would buy one. Wouldn't I have to use adapters? Do you think It's worth it buying the T1's if you already own a pair of T70p's? Because they are already great for classical music and offer a very good sound quality. How much better do you think are the T1's on a scale from 1-10 when the T70P's are a 1?

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for the reply! :)
I don't know the power output...How do I find out? How would I connect the amp with my computer? If I would buy one. Wouldn't I have to use adapters? Do you think It's worth it buying the T1's if you already own a pair of T70p's? Because they are already great for classical music and offer a very good sound quality. How much better do you think are the T1's on a scale from 1-10 when the T70P's are a 1?
I'm not familiar with the T70P honestly so I can't say how much of a jump the T1 is, but I'm sure it performs much better.

As for amps, I do think you should get at least something like a Magni 2 if you plan on getting something as expensive as the T1. The sound card will drive them enough to make noise, but a proper amp will make a good amount of difference.

Connecting it to pc is easy, you'll want to run an analog out from the PC into the amp. This can be something like a 3.5mm to rca cable

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 10
Have not heard the T70p's either but you will definitely need a amp for the T1's and make sure they are Gen 2's as the Gen 1's are crazy bright to me.

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 10
Hello,
I own a beyerdynamic DT1770 PRO(250 Ω) and a beyerdynamic T70P(32 Ω) do I need to buy a Headphone amp?
I want exceptional Audio experience, but I don't want to spend more than 400$ for a amp. Right now I power my headphones with my PC(Sound Blaster Z). Yesterday I bought a Asus Essence STX II soundcard. Bad Idea?
I heard only good things about that soundcard. Also in my opinion the Sound Blaster Z is loudness wise not enough...

Any suggestions?

I'm looking forward to your help.

If it's not loud enough then you can use a headphone amp, just pick one with a lot more power.

Before you do though check the soundcard's settings - you're probably on low gain mode. Soundcard's being soundcards, they don't use Hi-Low gain labels - you have to do some marketing acrobatics here to figure out what the hell they chose to call it. Asus software calls medium gain "Pro Gamer Mode" and high gain is "EXTREME Mode." Expect Creative to use some seemingly savvy BS term.

If you find high gain mode audibly distorted or noisy even when gaming then that's when you get an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back