Do I need the E17 with Macbook Pro/iPhone 4?
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jhclare

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm wondering if you can help.

I'm new to portable hi-fi but not to audiophile equipment. Used to have a lively Linn LP12 and Naim amp, loved it! I had to sell all my vinyl and gear when we moved, so I'm looking for something that sounds great but won't break the bank.

I have an iPhone 4 at the moment, and a MacBook Pro.

I recently bought some Grado S80i cans, and am using them with the Fiio E17, and using the various Mac audiophile players to see what I prefer. 

Sounds pretty good!

However, I read a review on Amazon of the E17 saying that the MacBook Pro's DAC and amp are already pretty good, and unless you have hard to drive phones or a crappy soundcard, you don't really need the E17.

What are your opinions on this?

I've just read about the Rocoo P player. Would using this along with my Grados sound significantly better than the MacBook/iPhone through the E17?

All I want is the best sound for the money. Shall I return the E17 and get the Rocoo P?

Any help would be much appreciated.

John

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 3
Anyone?

I have tried some searches before posting but couldn't find anything relating to this exact issue. 

Apologies if this has been discussed, any pointers welcome! :)

John

Here is the review I'm referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2HBHWBX1NK2Q4/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2HBHWBX1NK2Q4

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 3
To quote Chewy4 from another post.

Macs have good DACs. I would put getting a new DAC at your lowest priority, you're not going to see a big difference in sound quality there. Although if you get interference with the headphone out of your imac it might be a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back