1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need the E17 with Macbook Pro/iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by jhclare, Oct 8, 2012.
  1. jhclare
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if you can help.

I'm new to portable hi-fi but not to audiophile equipment. Used to have a lively Linn LP12 and Naim amp, loved it! I had to sell all my vinyl and gear when we moved, so I'm looking for something that sounds great but won't break the bank.

I have an iPhone 4 at the moment, and a MacBook Pro.

I recently bought some Grado S80i cans, and am using them with the Fiio E17, and using the various Mac audiophile players to see what I prefer. 

Sounds pretty good!

However, I read a review on Amazon of the E17 saying that the MacBook Pro's DAC and amp are already pretty good, and unless you have hard to drive phones or a crappy soundcard, you don't really need the E17.

What are your opinions on this?

I've just read about the Rocoo P player. Would using this along with my Grados sound significantly better than the MacBook/iPhone through the E17?

All I want is the best sound for the money. Shall I return the E17 and get the Rocoo P?

Any help would be much appreciated.

John

2. jhclare
    Anyone?

I have tried some searches before posting but couldn't find anything relating to this exact issue. 

Apologies if this has been discussed, any pointers welcome! :)

John

Here is the review I'm referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2HBHWBX1NK2Q4/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2HBHWBX1NK2Q4

3. Kjeldsen
    To quote Chewy4 from another post.