Do I Need An Amp?
Jan 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

chrisslyman

New Head-Fier
So i purchased a pair of 80ohms Beyer DT770 Pros. I will be using them primarily on my iPhone (iPhone5) and my computer (2007 Gateway with no updated soundcard or anything). I should note though I plug them into my Logitech speakers i bought seperately rather than the computer directly, if that makes any difference. Anyway, now that yall know my setup, do I need an amp? I've searched around on here a little and it seems it all depends on every individuals unique setup and I've also been hearing the Beyers need one for the full effect, especially when using low output devices such as what I'll be using. Thanks!

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 15
I have a set of Logitech Z2000 PC speakers and plugging my 300ohm Sennheiers into the hp jack on the wired remote it's pretty sick how well it drives them.  If that is set of speakers you have I would bet a lot of money that a Fiio portable would not be an improvement.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 15
I have a set of Logitech Z2000 PC speakers and plugging my 300ohm Sennheiers into the hp jack on the wired remote it's pretty sick how well it drives them.  If that is set of speakers you have I would bet a lot of money that a Fiio portable would not be an improvement.

No. I have a pair of $30 speakers with a sub i bought back in 2007.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 15

Really? i've bad experiences using the HP output built on speakers. It sounds terrible. 

The 770 pro 80 benefit from some extra power. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 15
I would think an amp would be a significant improvement over the onboard sound of your computer. Computers from  few years ago usually had pretty poor sound built into the motherboard. If you are unhappy with the way your Beyers sound, an amp or even a new soundcard would be an major improvement. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, a Asus Xonar DGX soundcard might be a good option. It includes a headphone amp. You should be able to get one for around $40. If you want to spend more I would look at the Fiio gear or perhaps a Audioquest Dragonfly which can be had for $100.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 15
if you are gonna buy Fiio amp, then you may want to use L9 cable (http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L3-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003UCESP8/)

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 15
An amp will improve the sound on any headphone, even ones with low impedance like your beyers. Good amps tighten up the sound and deliver it more cleanly.

And no, you don't need to spend a lot of money to get decent performance from an amp. For $100 you can get the Schiit Magni, it's a great option if you don't need something portable. For a little more you can get the Fiio E12 mont blanc. I've owned both and still use the mont blanc with my beyer T90's - the sound is pretty good! 

Both the E12 and the Magni have made the head-fi buying guide. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 15
 ~~Quote:~~An amp will improve the sound on any headphone, even ones with low impedance like your beyers. Good amps tighten up the sound and deliver it more cleanly. And no, you don't need to spend a lot of money to get decent performance from an amp. For $100 you can get the Schiit Magni, it's a great option if you don't need something portable. For a little more you can get the Fiio E12 mont blanc. I've owned both and still use the mont blanc with my beyer T90's - the sound is pretty good! Both the E12 and the Magni have made the head-fi buying guide.

+1

Also consider the Schiit Vali. It's a great match with Beyers, mates really well with my DT880.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 15
I agree with others. If you do not need a portable amp for on the go, then you should seriously think about getting a desktop amp such as vali

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 15
Great suggestions, but i'm leaning more towards something slightly portable. I tend to walk around my room with my headphones while i tend to other things. The Fiio e12 seems a little more portable and seems as if it could fit in my pocket (possibly take up my entire pocket, but portable none the less).

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #15 of 15
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-20-Inch-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B005DK08X6/
this seems to be compatible with iphone. However, you can also contact fiio support regarding this. I have an old iopd (2006 model probably G3), Hence I bought L3 cable and it works for my ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back