Do I need a soundcard or amp for Sennheiser HD 598SR?
Jun 11, 2020 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nirusu

New Head-Fier
Noob here. I just got this combo after seeing it recommended often online:
  • Sennheiser HD 598SR
  • V-moda boompro microphone (with 2.5mm adapter mod)

However I now wonder if my motherboard will be able to drive it. Do i need to get a soundcard as well, and if yes internal/external? Or do i need an amp?

Usage: gaming, VoIP, music

Here is my mobo: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-PC-Mate/Specification

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 11
I have the HD 599s, which have the same impedance (50 ohms) and a lower sound pressure level than the HD 598SR, and they can be driven to full volume with all motherboards I've tried them with. So I would say an amp is totally optional, you would get it mostly for an improvement in sound quality rather than volume.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 11
I haven't seen these but from the specs ought to be fine out of a phone or laptop.

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 11
Every PC already has a soundcard. They could be onboard like onboard graphics meaning just average to decent. You can add a better soundcard on a PCI/E card for more connectivity and better performance. All the sound cards have a DAC and amp included.

The best option is an external USB DAC. Many USB DACs also include an amplifier.

Often with Sennheisers they will be loud enough even with poor amplification. If you are satisfied with the sound you don't have to buy anything else. You may try a better DAC and amplifier and you should expect it to sound even better.

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #7 of 11
I can confirm what gimmeheadroom says from experience, I own a Creative SoundblasterX AE-5 which is an upgrade from my motherboards DAC+Amp, but still not better-sounding than my Schiit Magni+Modi combo (External DAC and Amp). My PC has it installed but I use it mostly for its extra connectivity features. For example, that sound card offers:

- An extra mic line in which might be useful depending on your motherboard
- Optical SPDIF Out, which not all motherboards have
- Surround output jacks if you're into that, but I cannot confirm their quality

Additionally, many soundcards offer digital processing software (although it usually only works on Windows). I have tried some of these but I have very mixed thoughts on them. I just find myself listening more to external gear, and using the soundcard for its digital SPDIF output only, which can feed my DAC.

Edit:

An important note on soundcards I forgot to mention: Remember that if you buy a soundcard, you're coupling it to a single computer only! You will not be able to use its DAC+Amp with any other device with digital output (for example, a smartphone).

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 11
Noob here. I just got this combo after seeing it recommended often online:
Sennheiser HD 598SR
V-moda boompro microphone (with 2.5mm adapter mod)
However I now wonder if my motherboard will be able to drive it. Do i need to get a soundcard as well, and if yes internal/external? Or do i need an amp?
Usage: gaming, VoIP, music
Here is my mobo: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-PC-Mate/Specification
Will your motherboard drive the HD598SR, yes.
Would a Schiit Fulla 3 USB DAC/amp be better, yes.
If your into FPS gaming, maybe get a sound card.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 11
ok i'm not too much into competitive FPS games, but why would a soundcard be better in this case?
Modern sound cards come with headphone surround sound features (Dolby Headphone, CMSS-3D, SBX, Sonic Rader, etc).
DAC/amps do not come with any headphone surround sound features.
Software can be used to process headphone surround sound, before the audio is sent to the DAC/amp.
Still think the Schiit Fulla ($100) would be fine for your current headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back