Do I need a headphone amp to use with a PC sound card (M-Audio Audiophile 24/96)
Feb 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rihsc102

New Head-Fier
I am looking into buying the Sennheiser RS 220 wireless headphones. I would like to use them with my PC sound card which is a M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. My question is would a headphone amp greatly improve sound quality with this set-up? Any advice is appreciated.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I am looking into buying the Sennheiser RS 220 wireless headphones. I would like to use them with my PC sound card which is a M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. My question is would a headphone amp greatly improve sound quality with this set-up? Any advice is appreciated.

Heya,

Seeing as you're using a wireless headphone, it would be a waste to attempt to plug it into an amplifier (and sound awful). The amplifier is built into your headphone's. They cannot be further amplified as there's no wire to the headphone. Think about it.

If you want them to be louder, simply use an equalizer and increase all the frequencies by a few dB so that the line out level is higher (this is equivalent to turning a pre-amp's volume up).

Very best,

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 6
If you want to get the most of your setup, going wired is always a good option. And you will be able to use a separate headphone amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back