Do I have too many headphones? (Just saying Hi! But with poll...)
May 18, 2015 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

gibtg

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, but currently stand at 18 pairs, is that too much? 
wink.gif
 Luckily they're all cheapies. I hope to broaden my tastes here now!

May 18, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 22
  Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, but currently stand at 18 pairs, is that too much? 
wink.gif
 Luckily they're all cheapies. I hope to broaden my tastes here now!

Well, if those are IEMs, then that's fine (I have about a dozen myself). If those are headphones....you're gonna need a bigger house. 
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 22
I own around 20 headphones, but really only use the four best ones, or should I say the four headphones that cost the most.

May 19, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 22
60+ headphones here, down from 100+. gave away a bunch to friends and family.

May 19, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 22
I have 6, though I use mainly three of them.
I used to just buy a new one every six months or so, either because the old one was broken or because I found something better, but now at least for the full size headphones I think I am set on my fidelio l2. I do not believe that something more expensive yet still within any from of justifiable budget will substantially improve the enjoyment. Maybe one day when I'm rich... (-;

May 19, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #7 of 22
Damn you have guys have so much headphones haha I only have one since I'm really young (a teen) I'm planning on buying another one though. I want to try open back headphones because right now I have closed back cans

May 19, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 22
  Well, we all start somewhere, right? 
wink.gif

Yeah I'd love to get a lot more in the future :) btw I noticed you live in the Philippines. Know any good audio stores? :) (I live in the Philippines too)

May 19, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 22

Well, we all start somewhere, right? 
wink.gif

Yeah I'd love to get a lot more in the future :) btw I noticed you live in the Philippines. Know any good audio stores? :) (I live in the Philippines too)

Egghead Audiohub is pretty much the only headphone store out here. There are other stores as well, but are mainly speaker/home audio stores that also sell some headphones. Egghead's inventory, however, has more than enough stuff that keep you from buying online for quite some time. They're located around Pampanga I think, although I personally haven't been there so I can't say. You can check out their Facebook page, though.

May 19, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 22
Judging from the pole, the more the merrier! 

I saw mention of the Fidelio L2, I'm strongly considering upgrading my Fidelio L1 to the L2, any thoughts on doing so? Thanks,

May 20, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 22

I saw mention of the Fidelio L2, I'm strongly considering upgrading my Fidelio L1 to the L2, any thoughts on doing so? Thanks,

That would be me I guess...
I really like the L2 but have not personally heard the L1. From what I have heard though the L1 is a much darker much less sophisticated headphone. For me, the L2 has pretty much the perfect sound signature balancing musicality and fun with technical capability and analytical sound.

But that is just my opinion. If you can, I suggest you go out and try them to make up your mind.

May 21, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 22
I'd say around 5-10 is a nice sweet spot.

Most importantly its the quality each produce. One can easily accumulate 20+ headphones but what matters is their performance relative to each other. What often happens is you have several headphones 20+ like mentioned but only use 4-5 of them. I went through this for a while finding I'd only use the better performing ones and if I did use something below standard I started to wonder why I even bothered spending time with the 'lower quality gear', that should really be centered on my 'best gear'

I sold a lot of my headphones/players trying to keep between 5-10. Atm I have 4 main IEM setups (down from about 10) and 3 portable headphone setups. Each of these has their own DAP and they live together as pairings. They also stay within a certain performance goal that complements each other, so I'm not dropping the quality switching between. Sometimes the wise saying: 'its the quality, not the quantity that matters" is true for audio.

And if you haven't used something for over a year, sell, give, throw it away. (with exception of collector items)

The purpose of this hobby is to upgrade as you progress. imo.

May 21, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 22
  I'd say around 5-10 is a nice sweet spot.

Most importantly its the quality each produce. One can easily accumulate 20+ headphones but what matters is their performance relative to each other. What often happens is you have several headphones 20+ like mentioned but only use 4-5 of them. I went through this for a while finding I'd only use the better performing ones and if I did use something below standard I started to wonder why I even bothered spending time with the 'lower quality gear', that should really be centered on my 'best gear'

I sold a lot of my headphones/players trying to keep between 5-10. Atm I have 4 main IEM setups (down from about 10) and 3 portable headphone setups. Each of these has their own DAP and they live together as pairings. They also stay within a certain performance goal that complements each other, so I'm not dropping the quality switching between. Sometimes the wise saying: 'its the quality, not the quantity that matters" is true for audio.

And if you haven't used something for over a year, sell, give, throw it away. (with exception of collector items)

The purpose of this hobby is to upgrade as you progress. imo.

That is a very elaborate dissection of the hobby! Much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back