Do I have tinnitus?
Dec 26, 2011 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Egaku

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

When I go to bed and just lay there, I hear a low-level ringing in my right ear.
It really screws up my sleep, I cant stop thinking about it until I lose conciousness ( hours of laying in bed..)

I usually don't listen to loud music, however I have my headphones (with sound) on almost hours on end.

When I was little, I had a pretty serious ear infection in my right ear (coincidence?)

So, do I have tinnitus in my right ear?

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 28
You do, it might not be chronic yet though. Also I'd advise to not tell yourself "the damage is done", a few years later you'll realize the ringing gets worse if you don't take care of your ears.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 28
See an audiologist. It sounds like it, but none of us are in a position to make a diagnosis, much less advise on the probable severity, or possible permanence. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:
You do, it might not be chronic yet though. Also I'd advise to not tell yourself "the damage is done", a few years later you'll realize the ringing gets worse if you don't take care of your ears.

Are you an Audiologist, or just some 14 year old kid saying it to hear himself talk?

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 28
My advice: never ask for medical advice on a web forum. If you have a concern, see a doctor.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 28
You do have tinnitus.  Ringing in your ear is classified as tinnitus, no matter what the cause.  It likely is related to an ear infection - do you have a hearing loss in that ear too?

At any rate, I agree with the above poster, audio forums are probably not the best place to ask for medical advice. :p

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you? If you hear a constant ringing in your ear that is by definition tinnitus, whether it's chronic or not I couldn't know (as I stated).

I actually am if you look at my status and compare it to yours. I didn't post an affinitive answer because the doctor doesn't know exactly until he can actual examine the ear.

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 28

Quote:
I actually am if you look at my status and compare it to yours. I didn't post an affinitive answer because the doctor doesn't know exactly until he can actual examine the ear.

"Guys my arm hurts, do I have any pain in my arm?"​
"Of course you do, that's the very definition of pain!"​
..​
"No, you stupid 14 year olds. Go ask a doctor if you really have a pain in the arm, you're not qualified to make that assessment!".​
 ​
Tinnitus simply refers to the symptom of hearing a constant noise (often ringing) in the ear that's not due to external noise, I think it's safe to assume OP made sure it's not coming from his pillow. Thus he has tinnitus and would be damn smart to see a doctor to determine the cause.​

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't know post counts and user titles were a valid tool for measuring intelligence :p

It justs shows i know my way around the block and ive had more than enough run ins with the Head-Fi police
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 28

Quote:

It justs shows i know my way around the block and ive had more than enough run ins with the Head-Fi police
bigsmile_face.gif

Unnecessarily insulting and when you realize you didn't know what you were talking about you backtrack and say "Well, my post count is higher!". That's rock bottom of debating if I have ever seen it.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:
Unnecessarily insulting and when you realize you didn't know what you were talking about you backtrack and say "Well, my post count is higher!". That's rock bottom of debating if I have ever seen it.

You really shouldn't re-quote quotes that people are saying. What you are assuming is yet again, wrong.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 28
I remember our professor told us that if we are put in an absolutely quiet room, 90% of us will be hearing tinnitus. I'd say if you only hear tinnitus in very quiet environments then it is normal. If it is loud enough to an extent that you easily hear it in relatively noisy environments then you should consult a doctor. Ear diseases do cause tinnitus, but if tinnitus is your only presenting symptom then I believe it is more likely noise induced hearing loss or merely tinnitus of unknown cause.
You should also get an audiogram to check for hearing loss. If it is present and noise induced, there should be a notch at the 4K frequency as in this picture: http://www.worker-health.org/images/Fig2Audiogram.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back