Do I have sensitive ears? (Grado SR-225 related)
Aug 6, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS and SR models have the same fittings. If your flats keep on falling theres either something wrong with them or you put them on backwards. Put the side with the cuts facing out. They are a perfect fit for my sr60s

I'm definately putting them on right, and it's not that they don't fit. They have the same hollow diameter as bowl pads when I put them side by side. It's just they dont clamp to the base as well which is why they have room to move... I'll take a pic when I get home.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #32 of 49
ok then theres definitely something wrong cause mine are very snug and dont spin around and clamp very well to the sr60s. Are these original flats from ttvj?

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok then theres definitely something wrong cause mine are very snug and dont spin around and clamp very well to the sr60s. Are these original flats from ttvj?

Well, I have them here with me now along with my phone and laptop. They came with the SR-225s I bought off a head-fi member.

Phone Pics:

They certainly have that Grado foam quality and feel.

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #34 of 49
They probably just got loose from the original owners use. dont know. My flats look similar but have a more squared off edge and are black instead of slightly bluish. My guess is that those flats were washed one too many times explaining the color and the loose fit. I'll post pics later to show you what I mean. We don't want to scare the OP from buying the flats because of one users flats having too loose of a fit.

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #35 of 49
Yeh, I have to agree. They're actually much darker (black not blue) and have much blockier edges. The lighting in those pictures don't do it justice. It fits on perfectly, its just that the mould where it attaches to the base (on the underside) is rounded off a little so it doesn't snap into it snugly. They sound great though, I just prefer my bowls. (;

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfreight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope your flats resolve your issue. I truly enjoy my SR-225's;however, ever since I upgraded my X-Fi to a prelude and got some AH-D 2000's (dig the bass), I have not touched my Grados.

I don't expect a miracle, but if the flats can tame the sometimes peaky high's and emphasise the lower bass a little, then they might make my 225's sound like I want them to sound.

I'll let you guys know how things turn out when I've tried the flats.

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #37 of 49
If you still find your 225s too harsh, let me know about it, i'll buy them right away. yhey are very difficult to find in france. Also they are very expensive

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogwai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't expect a miracle, but if the flats can tame the sometimes peaky high's and emphasise the lower bass a little, then they might make my 225's sound like I want them to sound.

I'll let you guys know how things turn out when I've tried the flats.

Reverse the bowls. Instant low end enhancer.

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #39 of 49
As others have already done, I'd recommend the Sennheisers. I have the 225s, and when I first heard them I fell in love. Then I got the Senns, and listened to them for a while. When I went back to the Grados I was surprised at how much I felt they were lacking - I gave them a chance for a few days since I had loved them so much, but something was still 'off'. when I went back to the Senns it was like "ahh - that's better." I'm planning to sell my Grados now, as every time I try them then go back, I always find it very refreshing to hear the Sennheisers. Your mileage may vary, of course :)

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #40 of 49
for a while i thought i was going insane but after i got my akg k240s i found that i didnt like the grado sound as much as i once had when i first had them... it was as if i lost some appreciation for its tone... Don't get me wrong... i'm listening to them as we speak to try to see if i was just using the akgs too much and got used to them. They are certainly very different in sound but i do get that sort of harshness on certain tracks... but i blame the tracks themselves sometimes as i have a feeling i just happened to download a low bitrate version.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #41 of 49
I had a similar experience and sold my sr225,s. I just felt that my ears were getting damaged from the highs. I bought some dt770/80 and was able to listen to more types of music for longer periods of time in comfort. I liked the Grado sound and have since bought some sr60,s, which still gives me some Grado sound, but not the earache. I used a Musical Fidelity xcan v2 with the sr225,s ,so I don't think the harshness was a amp issue. I guess thats why there are so many brands and models of headphones available.

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #42 of 49
Ok, I've now used the flats for a couple of weeks, and they've had a positive effect on the 225's. They take away some detail and sound stage, but they add bass and damp the treble. So in other words: The harshness is almost gone and the sound is more laid back. I do experience a little peakiness in some songs, but as many has pointed out, it could have something to do with the quality of the recording.

I'm really glad I bought the flats, and I will use the 225's for a while, but I'm definitely not a 100% satisfied. The more I read about the high-end Senn's and listen to my PX100, the more I'm convinced that a pair of 600 or 650 are the right cans for me.

pierrot85:
I'll let you know if I decide to sell them, which I'm pretty sure I will in time, but I can't say when.

Aug 24, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #43 of 49
I tried the SR-225 about 18 months ago and had the same problem. The SR-225 were too acoustically and physically fatiguing.

Any of the Senns you mentioned should be an about-face from the SR-225s. They tend to have the opposite problem... some people think they are too dark. I have not auditioned the 600 or 650 but I have listened to the HD595... really nice can for the money, but not as detailed as the SR-225. They are a very well-balanced "mid-fi" headphone... most non-audiophiles would be happy with the HD595 but true audiophiles may desire something more.

I recently bought a pair of PX100 for my girlfriend and I agree with you... they are awesome phones for the money! If you like this type of sound, I have a more intermediate recommendation for you. If you want to avoid overly bright headphones (SR-225, Beyer DT880) and overly dark headphones (most Senns), the AKG K701 would be a good choice for you. But they are extremely power hungry so you would need a powerful amp for it.

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #44 of 49
hd600 is actually brighter than my grado sr60s using flats so that might be a good compromise in tonality for you. plus they are detailed and very emotional sounding.

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #45 of 49
I just got them and am very pleased, I enjoy the sound very much out of the box. No harsh highs, almost no pressure (did they come pre-stretched?) After and hour of listening I got curious though - tried to compare to porta pros and px100, but there was almost no difference. Am I deaf? Maybe long-time listening will show some...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back