Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?
Jan 25, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #1,112 of 1,128
Quote:
I guess by your "trying to feel your are smarter then others" remark you are saying that what ever I believe or feel better means that using any material makes no difference? Well I did not only think it I bought it after trying it out for free from a store and a friend. If it didnt improve I would just use a portable amp. We learn more by doing then thinking.

Quote:
Here is a review on the improved cables for you to read and learn boy.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/564978/13-custom-iem-tf10-cables-reviewed-uber-muzik-v5f-added-1-03-2012

Sorry, but I see no correlation there between price, material, and all of the reviewed aspects. One of the best cables from an ergonomic perspective was a stock $40 cable. Buying a cable for ergonomics makes perfect sense, but as the review shows price does not always guarantee ergonomics! And no one has ever shown a real audible difference that matters and correlates with material (ignoring resistance, etc. which can be countered with a larger or smaller gauge) construction, or price.

(should probably clarify that resistance doesn't matter for what we hear either, unless in very specific conditions)

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #1,115 of 1,128
Jan 26, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #1,116 of 1,128

Quote:
I think this has been said before, but: this is the sound science forum. We do not care for anecdotal evidence to support a claim.

+1. @bmiamihk: Why do you bother?

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #1,119 of 1,128
Heh, I'm quite happy for people to hear differences between cables/amps/DACs just as long as it's under controlled conditions.
When it is under completely uncontrolled conditions...it doesn't really show anything of use.

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #1,121 of 1,128
welcome to the sound science subforum bmiamihk...

unfortunately, Head Injury is right. There has not been shown to be any audible or measurable difference between properly made headphone cables, regardless of whether silver, occ copper, or regular copper, etc. Better material can contribute to psycho-acoustical differences (just like good packaging does). But in blind testing, no actual audible difference has yet been shown to exist. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,122 of 1,128
Ok I understand the graphs that you fancy is telling you with picture graphs and words that the material used in a cable  that connects a receiver/amp to the speakers (earphones) makes no difference with the sound or volume. So you are telling me to spend extra on a so called upgrade material is a waste of money due to what you found on the internet and that stock cables are good enough. Ok got you. Thanks scientists.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,123 of 1,128
Yet businesses are selling headphone cables for 200+ a pop, and claiming a lot of BS. I understand this hobby is overpriced, but for some cables? seriously? There's no gain besides cosmetics imho. And I do admit, that is the only reason why i "upgraded" my cables, there was absolutely no difference between my stock ones and my Cardas.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #1,124 of 1,128

Quote:
Ok I understand the graphs that you fancy is telling you with picture graphs and words that the material used in a cable  that connects a receiver/amp to the speakers (earphones) makes no difference with the sound or volume. So you are telling me to spend extra on a so called upgrade material is a waste of money due to what you found on the internet and that stock cables are good enough. Ok got you. Thanks scientists.

This thread is located at science forum (sadly it wasn't initially but got moved here because the 'scientists' just swamped in and took control of it).

At other forums in head-fi, you are welcome to share your personal anecdote but not over here.

Thus, if it makes you feel better, you can share your experience at other threads in other sub-forums and treat this thread as some sort of sterile laboratory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back