Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?
Dec 1, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #977 of 1,128
With the replacement of stock cables you can get more lower end sound as if you connected a small amp. I myself at the age of 45, have bought a pure silver replacement for my earphones and it made a nice difference in sound.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #979 of 1,128

Quote:

Cables are low-pass filters. How do you get more lower end sound from something that will pass low frequencies all the way down to DC?

se

Better fit/seal.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #981 of 1,128

Quote:
Ok, so a cable made with silver wire makes for a better fit/seal of the ear cups than a cable made with copper wire?

Say what?

se

Yes, you take the phones off, swap cables and reposition/insert them better after.  

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #982 of 1,128

Quote:
Yes, you take the phones off, swap cables and reposition/insert them better after.  

Ah, ok. I see what you're getting at now.
biggrin.gif

se

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #983 of 1,128

Quote:
With the replacement of stock cables you can get more lower end sound as if you connected a small amp. I myself at the age of 45, have bought a pure silver replacement for my earphones and it made a nice difference in sound.

Lower end...hmmm, that flies in the face of everyone who says silver cables are "bright". 

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #984 of 1,128
So I was testing out silver cables a few days ago and really couldn't tell much of a difference except for the volume change (louder with silver). This was at home out of various hifi gear. 

Then the other day I was working in a production room and plugged into the big mixboard and I could have sworn that the channel separation was better. Maybe it has something to do with the typically high output impedance of the production consoles?

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #985 of 1,128

Quote:
So I was testing out silver cables a few days ago and really couldn't tell much of a difference except for the volume change (louder with silver). This was at home out of various hifi gear. 

Then the other day I was working in a production room and plugged into the big mixboard and I could have sworn that the channel separation was better. Maybe it has something to do with the typically high output impedance of the production consoles?

I've been running some tests myself and can say FR is not the place to be looking.  Something other than cables gave me a clue about where to look to see if there are actual perceived differences that can be measured but I haven't had a chance to have at it yet.   

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #986 of 1,128

Quote:
Lower end...hmmm, that flies in the face of everyone who says silver cables are "bright". 

Some silver cables are thin in the bass and bright up top, but not all. The Audioquest silver cables for example are not bright sounding cables. There are also copper cables that have the "silver sound".

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #987 of 1,128

Quote:
Some silver cables are thin in the bass and bright up top, but not all. The Audioquest silver cables for example are not bright sounding cables. There are also copper cables that have the "silver sound".

science forum, this is. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #989 of 1,128

Quote:

It is exactly that inconsistency of the subjective impressions of how cables sound, which helps to evidence the difference is caused by our own perception and not the cable itself.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #990 of 1,128

Quote:

Unless you volume matched VERY well - the same effect (volume change towards louder) could easily give the impression of better separation. Just as slightly higher volume falsely gives the impression of better sound in general. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back