Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?
Oct 19, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #50 of 1,128
Here's another spanner in the works concerning upgraded/braided USB cables for
source devices like DAC's.

I'm currently using a $20AUD USB Type A to B 5mm thick copper item from a reasonable retailer down here called
Jay-Car, I bench marked this cable against a freebie, spindly looking thing that came with a UPS I bought a little
while ago.

The 'cheapy' drops out every now and then and is more or less unusable, it just stutters and fumbles it's way
through each track. Clearly a case of it's bandwidth not coping.

Does this mean I'll see an improvement with a $180AUD Cardas USB over my $20 gold plated item? Probably not,
but I've still got one on the way nonetheless. <Shrug> my loss I guess..

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #51 of 1,128

I've taken apart my LCD2s.  The wiring inside is pure silver.

Quote:
Even if upgrading headphone cable helps, I don't see how a silver wired LCD-2 makes any difference when the wiring inside the LCD-2 is reportedly copper.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #54 of 1,128

Quote:

well it's possible they didn't matter to you, or in your system. hard to say. however, I would've preferred if you had taken the cables home and tried for few days instead for few minutes at the audio store. I wouldn't agree that the money is better spent on dacs, amps etc. as they all equally matter. for sure, cables worth $4000 are not gonna make a $400 system sound like a $4000 system.

This statement is completely contradictory. You say $4000 cables can't make a $400 system sound like a $4000 one, but say cables are equally as important as an amp, dac, etc? Obviously not, even by your own admission. Money is almost always better spent on a dac, amp, etc. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #55 of 1,128
This statement is completely contradictory. You say $4000 cables can't make a $400 system sound like a $4000 one, but say cables are equally as important as an amp, dac, etc? Obviously not, even by your own admission. Money is almost always better spent on a dac, amp, etc. 

Sorry for the slow reply (at school) anyway that's what I was thinking when I read the post.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #56 of 1,128

Quote:
this discussion keeps going around, but come to it is always the same - have you tried high-end cables with your system? the answer is not. and there’s nothing wrong with that, you don’t have to, but please don’t give opinions on something that you haven’t tried.

I keep seeing this and it makes no since.
Do you really think, say, a HD650 with a $500 cable on it is anything other than a HD650? 
Are seriously saying you should spend big money on cables before you you upgrade the rest of your system?
Come on, even people who believe in cable magic admit that they are the last few percent of tweaking you do after you have the major parts in place. If the cost of your wire is a significant % of your total system cost, you are not getting good value for your money.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #57 of 1,128

Quote:
I keep seeing this and it makes no since.
Do you really think, say, a HD650 with a $500 cable on it is anything other than a HD650? 
Are seriously saying you should spend big money on cables before you you upgrade the rest of your system?
Come on, even people who believe in cable magic admit that they are the last few percent of tweaking you do after you have the major parts in place. If the cost of your wire is a significant % of your total system cost, you are not getting good value for your money.

Especially regarding the HD 650 since it upscales so nicely with a great source and high end solid state amp. 
Cable should be the last finishing touch on that rig.

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #59 of 1,128
I don't think their main focus is cables, and they probably do not really want to get into aftermarket cabling mainly because there aren't many manufacturers that focus on supreme quality cabling and design. So I think they left that up to the DIYers/MOTs to handle the cable market since high quality cables is really only assured by hand-making them with good soldering experience. That's most likely why the high end headphones have detachable cables instead of hard wired ones.

And you're still going to want an aftermarket cable to use your sr71b to its fullest potential in balanced or there wouldn't be much point in your spending the extra money on a balanced amp.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #60 of 1,128

Quote:

contradictory? the differences the nordost speaker cables made to the system were on par (though in different ways) to differences the dac made. Considering what the dac cost, I’d say the cables were a bargain.

but then, according to you "science priests" everything sound about the same... so ymiwyw

I really wish to say more about this... unfortunately I’ve got priorities. my apologies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back