Do head-fiers get into audio on as deep a level as other audio sites?
Oct 28, 2002 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Tom M

500+ Head-Fier
I often wondered if most of the people at head-fi get into audio as much as sites like audioasylum? I know that the members of head-fi love audio yet they seem abit more casual about the subject than other audiosites. This is not a bad thing btw- it's good. I think it means that there are more true music lovers on this site than gear lovers. Please this is just an observation on my part. Please don't let it get to heated arguments. Thanx
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 22
I was just going to post something similar.
I think head-fi is one of if not the best forums out there. Why? Well for one thing, we are not stuck on high end audio. We discuss the latest $150 pcdp along with $1000+ players. There is also a good mix of high end people and low end listeners. There are no audio snobs here. Well....lol
I like the fact that we talk about the music. I mean wearing headphones means we're listening right?
I been bouncing around the hifi forums for the last month and always keep coming back here. The discussions here are, shall we say, a bit more down to earth compared to other forums. I think the people here care more about what they are listening to than what's playing it. I think the fact that we have alot of younger members keeps this forum balanced.
I liken the other forums to mags like Stereophile and Head-fi like drinking a beer and talking to your friends.
After all, it's all about the music.
md

Oct 28, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 22
I frequent many of the other sites, but to me none come close to the community that we have built here. I find AudioAsylum and Harmonic Discord very informative, but for information and interaction there is no place like Head-Fi.

It's kind of strange that I have never met any Head-Fier in person, yet there are many that I consider friends. A few that I even would consider close friends. That speaks to the collective quality of individuals that frequent this site.

Oct 28, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 22
JMT, couldn't have said it better, people on this forum go a long way to help people with questions, thats why I originally came here and have never looked back, this site has become the one site that I visit at least once, if not ten times a day, and I have come to enjoy and respect alot of peoples opinions and advice, and the music forum is probably my personal favorite....

Oct 28, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 22
I think we definatly love our music and gear, around here, but unlike alot of the other sites, we also like each other, alot. As a result, you are very unlikely to see some new person get flamed for a newby question, or because they don't have $10,000 to spend on equipment. (I have witnessed exactly those things happening on other web sites about audio.)

Sniff, I love you guys!
frown.gif
bwwaahhh....

Oct 28, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 22
I think the reason head-fi is so great, is because of the sense of community. This isn't formal, this isn't a couple guys screaming at each other. It's just us talking about something we love.

Oct 28, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
It's kind of strange that I have never met any Head-Fier in person, yet there are many that I consider friends. A few that I even would consider close friends. That speaks to the collective quality of individuals that frequent this site.

If you ever have the opportunity to meet in person by all means take it. It truly adds something have met someone in person. I had the opportunity to meet a good number of the Midwest community at the Headroom tour and the more recent Chicago meet and without exception it was a pleasure. You also get a chance to talk in greater depth than here which is nice.

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 22
That's a great benefit about Head-Fi -- the things we talk about, headphone hi-fi, are for the most part, affordable to most of us regardless of age or income. I mean, to have threads that praise headphones like the KSC-55's (less than $20) is kinda cool.

But I think the reason that I frequent this site more often than any other is because of the people. I participate on other forums (non-audio) and I find that a lot of it is just useless flamebait, bitching and moaning because that's, well, the norm.. that's how you're heard. But here, whether you're a newbie with 10 posts or Headphone Supremus with 1,000+ posts, you're treated the same by everyone.

Here, it's pretty positive. People are interested in a diverse amount of things, post about them, while still keeping the primary focus on head-fi stuff. Very well balanced. Oh yeah, the engineers here are amazing too.

Oct 28, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 22
Yah, the engineers! With the little caps and the coveralls and they get to blow the whistles too! WhoooWhoooo! chug chug chug chug Whoo Whoo!!

Very cool, Right Neil?

Oct 28, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
Very cool, Right Neil?

Well, I think. You've given me some interesting ideas for new uniforms at the office, though.

Oh, and to answer the question if head-fiers get into audio on as deep as a level as other audio sites -- yes, I think we do. But you have guys like me to keep the balance because as much as I'm into head-fi stuff, there's a slew of other things I like to talk about here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back