Do foamies lose isolation with age?
Sep 14, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 15
For sure! I use Future Sonics foamies for Atrios and need to replace them regularly. But it is true they are of cheap quality.

I also use the Shure yellow foamies and they last much longer.

What I observed is that the Shure ,like the Atrios, have a plastic cylinder inside them and it really sticks around the stem of the Atrios and That is what procures a big part of the seal. I cannot shift the foamy around the stem of the IEM and they are very hard to remove.

Eventhough their outside form is looking weird and unshapped( no more a barrel shape) when I have them on the isolation of the exterior sound is almost complete.

I do not know how many DBs are cut but I do not hear a phone ringing or people talking. When walking outside have to be super carefull in crossing streets.

I did not experience this type of isolation with the Atrios foamies.

Are you having problems with your foamies?

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 15
shure yellow foamies? Yes! They! compress! and get kind of generally! unhygienic!

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 15
No, I'm using Ety black ones. It seems that I have to turn my volume up more nowadays when I got outside.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 15
Yes, foam sure loose its elasticity with age.

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Agree. I am noticing more ambient sound with Shure olives (reversed) I am currently using with my M5s. Sucks, but not much you can do about it, short of using flanges (ugh). I also have a pair of black Ety foamies, and they are a great seal, but only when new.

T

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 15
I agree with the previous posters. I have medium Shure olives reversed on my M5s which get used often and they have definitely shrunk some. I can feel how some of the elasticity is gone. They still work very well though and I've been using the same pair for over 4 months now so no complaints here.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 15
Heh. Back to using flanges, and I have to tell you, if you get used to it, it'll serve you well. No more rolling up the foam with your dirty fingers.

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh. Back to using flanges, and I have to tell you, if you get used to it, it'll serve you well. No more rolling up the foam with your dirty fingers.

I hear you. I used to be nothing but silicon tips for my IEMs and canalphones. Still am when it comes to my canalphones but with the durability and washability of the Shure black olives and, for me, how they outperform any silicon tips I've tried with my M5s - I converted!
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear you. I used to be nothing but silicon tips for my IEMs and canalphones. Still am when it comes to my canalphones but with the durability and washability of the Shure black olives and, for me, how they outperform any silicon tips I've tried with my M5s - I converted!
biggrin.gif

I gotta get myself some of this goodness. Do they fit the Ety ER-4?

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

My M5's sound tube is about 6mm long and 3mm in diameter. If your Etys come close to that - they'll fit.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

They should, cause Ety foamies fit the M5s, as do the Shure olives. Ergo, the Shure olives should fit the Etys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back