Do ear tips make that big of a difference on Monster Turbine Pro Coppers?
Oct 13, 2010 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

caliskimmer

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my MTPCs yesterday, but the problem is, I can't enjoy them! NONE of the ear tips fit decently. I went the my Sennheiser ie8 tips, but even those felt much different then when they are on the ie8s. Are there any alternatives? I use medium tips. Also, these are replacing my Klipsch Image S4s whose tips fit more than fantastically. I've tried googling a bit, but I'd like some of your opinions. Thanks in advance!

From the reviews I read, they should not be sounding like this. I've just ordered some Sony hybrid tips and hope those have a better fit.

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 19
Looks like I'm not the only one either...

I had the exact same problem. I tried all 17 tips over and over and over again. Yet, none of them would give me a nice and consistent fit.

So, I sold them -- and just for that reason. Funny thing is though, I'm actually getting the S4 now, because they look like they will fit my ears wonderfully! I have much better luck with slanted barrels.

Anyway, try the MEelectronics fit kits. I've heard that some of those can work well with them.

Good luck! Terribly sorry about the fit -- I know what it's like...

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
OK, so none of the: single-flange, triple-flange, Comply, Gel SuperTips and Foam SuperTips fit? Wow.
Try Sony Hybrids.

You really didn't need to blatantly "list out" all the included ear tips just for emphasis -- I'm sure caliskimmer already knows what tips are included, so a list is unnecessary and rude.

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 19
Will do. The ridiculous part is that my s4s sound much better than the MTPCs due to the better seal and isolation. The triple flange fits in my left ear, but doesn't seem to fit correctly in my right ear. Are the hybrid tips decent?

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 19

OK, so none of the: single-flange, triple-flange, Comply, Gel SuperTips and Foam SuperTips fit? Wow.

Try Sony Hybrids.

The complys are too stiff and either too big or don't create a seal, the triple flange works well in my left ear but for some reason, not in my right, the super tips are too round (same with the stock silicone). I just ordered the hybrids and they'll come tomorrow or the day after. I guess i'll have to stick with the klipsch's for a while. Funny thing is, my zero dac just broke so I can't even use my sennheiser hd800s until I can afford a replacement. Cheap audio ftl

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 19

EDIT: I have no idea how earphones can sound SO bad with a bad fit. They sound almost as bad as Apple 'buds, but with the occasional burst of musical nirvana. NOTE: they are not fake. I got them from OneCall brand new for 210 bucks, they pass the fake vs. real MTPC test, and the sound is occasionally good.

If this helps, maybe someone can answer my question:

-Sound way too bright

-absolutely no bass

-vocals almost too separated.

From the reviews I read, they should not be sounding like this. I've just ordered some Sony hybrid tips and hope those have a better fit.

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:

EDIT: I have no idea how earphones can sound SO bad with a bad fit. They sound almost as bad as Apple 'buds, but with the occasional burst of musical nirvana. NOTE: they are not fake. I got them from OneCall brand new for 210 bucks, they pass the fake vs. real MTPC test, and the sound is occasionally good.

If this helps, maybe someone can answer my question:

-Sound way too bright

-absolutely no bass

-vocals almost too separated.

No, of course they shouldn't sound like that. ANY iem will sound poor if you don't have a good seal. There is an instruction manual included with the mtpc. Read it, there are instructions for how to get a good fit (do not simply shove them straight into your ears).
If, after a solid amount of time working with the tips you have and not giving up, you still can't get a good seal, then you are in luck. There are many tips which the mtpc. The Sony hybrids certainly work well. Meelectronic tips work well. Radioshack auvio tips work, pfe tips, UE double flanges work--all of these can be bought for not very much money.

It's well worth your time to get a good fit.

If you already get a good seal with the IE8 tips, then use those again. Try the mtpc with the cable over your ear, the fit is slightly different that way. Remember, look at the instruction booklet and don't just push them straight into your ear.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 19
The Coppers are very reliant on a proper seal, moreso than other IEMs that I've used. Try straightening out your ear canals before putting them in, by pulling up your earlobes before inserting.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 19
I had no luck with any of the Monster tips either. Ended up with Sony Hybrids - they sound great.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 19
Try different tips for different ears
This way the only way i could get a decent fit and sound
biggrin.gif

small triple-flange for the right ear, small usual silicon tip for the left

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 19
Sweet! Thanks guys. I ordered the Sony Hybrids, but now thanks to Kunlun, I have many more options in case they some how don't work (although I do have a good feeling about the hybrids). I haven't tried the different tips for different ears yet and I suspect that that could work. I'm also surprised that these rely that much on the seal, but I'm guessing the final result will be amazing.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 19
I have the exact same issue with the MTPG's I just bought! I was actually going to make a topic about this but found this one. I have the Klipsch S4's and when I use the largest tip on those they fit perfectly. Sometimes I forget they are in. I have tried all the tips that came with the turbines and the only ones that kinda work are the medium normal tips (they don't even work that well). The super tips did not fit nor did the comply or flange. I highly doubt I can fit the tips from the S4's onto the turbines since the speaker part is much larger on the turbines. Are the closest tips that I can get that resemble the S4's the Sony Hybrids that were talked about here? I think I might have been a little spoiled with the Klipsch because they fit so well.

Thanks for the help!

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 19
I've never tried the MTCP but for me tips in general make a big difference. The biggest factor is a good seal. I find the deep sealing triple flange type best for me. Also a larger diameter hole at the ear tip gives me more highs. Foam tips cut back on treble to my ears.

Edit: Try as many as you can to find what works best for your ears/sound preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back