Do E3s with flanges have microphonics like Etys?
Jun 17, 2004 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

brianblank

New Head-Fier
The subject says it all. Do E3s with flanges have microphonics like Etys?

I had a pair of Ety4's and sold them because the microphonics from the wire drive me crazy (I listen to them primarily with my iPod while traveling). I have downgraded to E2s and like them ok, but they just don't have the sound I am looking for. So now I am thinking of upgrading to the E3s and using the flanges to isolate the airplane noise out.

Thanks,
bb

Jun 17, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 4
If you wore your etys while traveling, Microphonics shouldn't have been a problem. I haven't tried the flanges with E3's, but I feel that the isolation is better with foam tips than rubber tips with the E2 and Etymotics.

Jun 17, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 4
I tried them on a recent trip and found them far better than my Ety's as far as microphonics is concerned. I, however, found that the isolation was less than the Ety's. Since I don't move all that much when flying microphonics is not really an issue so I will stick with Etymotic. Isolation is far more important to me.

Jun 17, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Far less microphonics on the E3 than on the ER4s. You can also interchange all sleeves between E3 and ER4s so you could use the ety tri-flange on the E3 and get the same isolation.

You still get occlusion (thump when your feet hit pavement) just like with etys - they're about the same in this respect.

E3 have very forward mid-range and lack the detail of the ER4 though they provide more detail than E2. ER4 have forward highs and impressive detail. Some music makes the bass on the ER4 appear thin but I actually like the ER4 sound better than the E3. E3 is a bit more portable due to cord and ergonomics. There are trade-offs with both phones so take your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back