Do DAPs "burn in"?
Jun 29, 2008 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

akki007

100+ Head-Fier
Sounds silly to me but do they? The reason I ask is that I bought an iPod touch a few weeks ago, at first it was distorting quite heavily on a lot of music, now, after a 100 or so hours use, it's stopped! Same cans etc.

Or, are my cans adapting to the source? Something has happened to stop the distortion but I don't know what!

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or is it your ear that adapts to your rig's SQ?

what came first, the ear or sound quality?

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 10
Distortion?? Maybe you just got a hair or something in your headphone drivers, or you had the iPod's EQ on.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not in any way that would be even remotely audible.

I used to think the same but am not so sure anymore. Almost everything improves after break-in.

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mule65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to think the same but am not so sure anymore. Almost everything improves after break-in.

Tube amp improves as it warms, digital electronics do not improve with "burn-in" its just not the way they operate.
If a calculator isnt burned in will it give you 2+2 = 5?

There may be an analogue stage in the output path of a dap but transistors, transformers etc get to optimum operating in a matter of miliseconds , so i you wouldnt hear any difference.

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mule65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost everything improves after break-in.

Yep, and what does that tell you..?
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the responses guys. It must be my ears then but something sounds different. It's not the cans, they have a good few hundred hours on them already.

How strange!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back