Do circumaurals touch your ears?
Dec 25, 2008 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Shoewreck

500+ Head-Fier
I believe that circumaurals aren't supposed to do so, but about every pair I tried touches my ears. Of what I own K240 are the worst, K501 are slightly better, but only DIY pads make K501 unirritating.
I wonder if that's specific to me or the headphones I tried all had small cushions? What was your experience? Do you know any headphones with bigger cushions?

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 16
It would depend on the size of your ears. Do you not want headphones to touch your ears anywhere?

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you not want headphones to touch your ears anywhere?

I'd prefer my ears free from direct touch with headphones. As I mentioned before, only DIY pads (huge!) are comfortable enough. IEM's are OK, but that's a different story.

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 16
Appearantly you have big ears, like I do.
For years I had the Sony MDR-CD1700. They have huge earpads, that don't touch the ears in any way.
Looking for a better sound, I visited Head-fi and tried a lot of headphones. But they all are uncomfortable to a certain amount because of the small earpads. So irritating...
Only the BeyerDynamic DT150 has earpads that doesn't touch the ears, but they are not as comfortable as the Sony was.

Dec 25, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are bog ears?

Not enough coffee before reading and writing
biggrin.gif

Have corrected the typo....

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 16
Your ears sound as if they are bigger than mine, but my AKG 501s do touch. My 701s are better. My Beyer DT770s are deeper and don't touch at all. I can wear them at work all day. My Senn HD650s work great for me as well. They are open so I don't use them at work, but I use them a lot at home. My Grados touch my ears so I'm sure you would want to stay away from the SR60s. I haven't tried any other Grados though so I can't testify as to them.

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAzhrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Grados touch my ears so I'm sure you would want to stay away from the SR60s. I haven't tried any other Grados though so I can't testify as to them.

I believe all grados are supraaural, except, probably GS1000. I had a pair of SR80 - they were pain, it took a week to get used.
Funny enough, K501 felt comfy untill I tried bigger pads. Even K240 felt comfy until I tried K501. If that continues, I'll probably have to get a pair of K1000 in a few years.

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 16
Some do, while some don't.
No issues with any of my Stax'en. But other circumaural 'phones have smaller pads and touch my ears.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 16
not all circumaurals are made alike same goes for ears

some do some don't

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 16
A friend of mine has the problem where the inner folds on his ear stick out past the earlobe a fair bit and he bought his headphones basically because of their comfort.

I've noticed sometimes that I can feel mine touching my ears, but for the most part it doesn't bother me unless they really rub. It does depend on the headphone and your ears obviously.

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 16
D1001s are notorious for being supraaural to anyone with even slightly above-average-sized ears. I've got small ears that sit well inside them.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine (HD-555) sit around my ears, though they touch the ends of the lobes. By far the most comfortable headphones I've used.

Just curious, are the pads of the HD555 deep enough? Doesn't your ears touch the drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back