Do cables "burn in"?
Jun 7, 2011 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 145

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
Just upgraded the interconnect between my computer and Musical Fidelity V-DAC to an Audioquest Cinnamon USB A/B cable, and was wondering if cables "burn" in like other equipment...?

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 145
short answer. NO

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 145

Will Smith answer: HELL no!
biggrin.gif

se

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 145
For extra reinforcement - NO

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 145
Don't think so.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 145
Yep. Like any other set of components the time can be quite variable, anywhere from 10s of hours to hundreds. A couple of cables I flat out did not like until they burned in. Silver often takes quite awhile.

"If you can't hear a difference, return the cable for a refund. " - This I absolutely agree with. There doesn't seem to be anything special to me about the AQ USB cables, just the usual AQ nonsense about 1%, 3%, 5% etc silver as you climb the price ladder. I wouldn't be surprised if it can't outperform a Belkin.

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 145
Well, it depends what you mean by burn-in. if you mean the same way speakers/HP’s burn in, then I'd say, no.  if you mean as in adjusting to the components their attached to, and the system as a whole (more of a “settling in” than a burn in, imo), then I’d say yes.

One possible way to find out about cable’s burn in could be to get three pairs of the same cable. Use one pair for about a couple of months. Then with the help of a friend randomly swap the three pairs and see if you can single out the burn-in pair.

There are conditions to be met for such a test though:

a) The system should be revealing (low-budget systems will not do)
b) The person should be very familiar with the system is doing the test on. Only the person familiar with the system should do the test. You can’t ask some random people to take such a test – waste of time.

Given the above conditions I’m pretty sure I would be able to differentiate the burn-in pair of cables, if there were audible differences.

anyway, this answer better than me. comprende?

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #12 of 145
Yes, you're right---as much as I WANT to hear a difference, I just CAN'T!  At least I didn't spend $100 on the cable or else I'd be highly upset.

Quote:
I surmise that you haven't noticed a difference yet.

You won't find one.

If you can't hear a difference, return the cable for a refund.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 145
Yes, they burn a hole in your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back