Do balanced cables for the EL-8 exist?
Jan 12, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 11
Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 11
Another option is to get the 2.5 balanced termination and then buy an adapter. VE Clan makes good ones that are very reasonable if you're not in a rush.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, agreed. It's just the only place I know of that sells them. You can also buy the unique plugs and make your own. Cable making is actually fairly fun if you are reasonably handy. However, no NOT get the cable from Audeze and try to re-terminate yourself. I cut them open to realize that there are 4 wires per side and I have no good way to sort them out.

Your best bet is to get the cable from Audeze with the 2.5 termination and then get a 2.5 Bal to 4 pin xlr adapter from VE. I'm doing that for myself.

Another option may be to have someone like Peterek mod the stock cable. He may or may not be able to do it. It was outside my ability. If you're interested I'll mail you the Audeze Pono balanced cable I destroyed if you want to mess with that.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 11
Yeah, agreed. It's just the only place I know of that sells them. You can also buy the unique plugs and make your own. Cable making is actually fairly fun if you are reasonably handy. However, no NOT get the cable from Audeze and try to re-terminate yourself. I cut them open to realize that there are 4 wires per side and I have no good way to sort them out.

Your best bet is to get the cable from Audeze with the 2.5 termination and then get a 2.5 Bal to 4 pin xlr adapter from VE. I'm doing that for myself.

Another option may be to have someone like Peterek mod the stock cable. He may or may not be able to do it. It was outside my ability. If you're interested I'll mail you the Audeze Pono balanced cable I destroyed if you want to mess with that.

of the 8 pins on the audeze connectors, they are attached in parallel for reduced contact resistance, and the og idea behind the 4 wires was that 2 would be used backwards for headphone to dsp for modes such as noise cancelling etc. which never happened for whatever reason.

so if you still have that wire in a box somewhere and didnt throw it away and waste an expensive cable, you can use a multimeter to check from the dsp which 2 pairs are the same and just solder those two together to act as 1 for custom cables.

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 11
surf cables used to have them on their site, but I can't find them now. They have made custom terminated cables for me though for pretty cheap in the past so you could email them and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back