Do Audiophile Network Switches Make a Difference?
Feb 12, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 144
I don't want to take the time to watch that video. Is there any reason to believe that an "audiophile network switch" would make a difference? I can't think of a reason it would.

Feb 12, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 144
please do not dismiss this so easily, read some threads on WBF, experiment a bit and form an opinion.
I'm currently using fiber optics for my audio networking, hey guilty, suspect?

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 144
Do AMD or Intel processors sound better? How about Cyrix or IDT or Transmeta or Motorola or IBM?

What RAM makes the best sound? EDO or SD or RAMBUS or DDR

Do HDD or SSD sound better? How about floppies for a more analogue and vintage sound?

Does Radeon or RTX sound better?

Will a Gold or Platinum power supply sound better?

Will USB 2 or USB 3 sound better or do we have to go back to USB 1?

The sheer stupidity of it all boggles my mind and someone should point these geniuses to Google and Amazons datacentres which run the world on pretty standard networking hardware.

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 144
Audio files are tiny compared to video, and video streams fine.

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 144
Maybe it prevents ground loop noise type situations.
Hi,
Found this thread on r/audiophile and thought it might be of interest for the community.
Anyone with first hand experience with mentioned product who would like to share a point of view?

Did you watch it. Conclusion, no difference using measurements.

Mar 5, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 144
Hi,
Found this thread on r/audiophile and thought it might be of interest for the community.
Anyone with first hand experience with mentioned product who would like to share a point of view?

For what it’s worth, I have used the etheregen and about dozen other “audiophile” and “generic” switches varying in cost from £20 to £5,000. They all alter the sound of my system, some for better and others not so much. A switch is pretty vital part of improving the performance of streaming based system. It eliminates some of the noise picked up and emitted by the router, which without the switch, would otherwise piggy the data stream transmitted via the network cable acting as an aerial, directly into your highly sensitive streamer and on into the digital to analogue conversion. The switch will also emit noise of its own picked up via its power supply, so a quiet psu will improve things further.

From our listening tests a £20 d-link dgs105 with an ifi ipower was as effective as the etheregen, and in fact sounded more open with wider stage. The good news for skeptics is you can buy this pair from Amazon for less than $70, try it, if you hear a difference then it’s worth trying out a good cable and or a filter running between your switch and streamer. Of course if it doesn’t improve things just return it and move on.

I know I’m a member of the trade, but I don’t make or sell switches, but as i say I have listened to lot in my system and others. The switch isn’t the cure but it’s an important foundation in any streaming system. :)

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 144
It eliminates some of the noise picked up and emitted by the router, which without the switch, would otherwise piggy the data stream transmitted via the network cable
How, could you elaborate further?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back