Do audio differences exist between capacitors?
Sep 12, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #63 of 65
I've heard so many different opinions on other forums regarding recapping vintage gear(replacing old electrolytic capacitators). I've recapped one vintage Harmon Kardon Amp and plan on restoring my Yamaha M-4 amp.

I've used Panasonic's low ESR series(FM, M) and Solens but I've heard plenty say to go with "higher" grade caps like Elna, Rubycon blackgate, Nichicron, etc at about 2x-3x the costs.
Many claim that the different caps have characteristics like very bright or deep bass reproduction......some won't use anything lower than Nichicron claiming how superior these caps costs.

The amp/speakers recapped with panasonics sound awesome so far.

To be clear, we are talking by-pass (inter-stage coupling) caps only here. Caps age with time, they are, in effect, electrical shock absorbers.

I restore vintage hifi gear as a side job. Recapping is a common request. Each capacitor manufacturer uses slightly different insulating materials for their dielectric which in turn, has a different "voice:" Even within the same manufacturer, they make different series. One thing I try to be careful about is not using too fast of a cap in vintage gear. A lot of the old transistors were grainy, too fast of a cap will reveal this in an unpleasant way. Also different ears have different preferences. (There are forums that discuss these nuances in detail) All that said, I use Elna Silmic II for SS gear. They are a nice balance of fast and smooth, my customers seem to really like the results. For older tube gear I use Sprague Orange Drops. Again most customers like the results and the price is not outrageously expensive. Never change the capacitance value, you may however increase the voltage rating, never lower.

For power supplies, sometimes you can only use what fits. I like Nichicon "Gold Tune" and "Super Through" for SS, Sprague for tube amps, if I can find one the fits. Here you can increase both voltage and capacitance values, within reason. Too high capacitance (>2x) will cause excessive inrush current on start-up, (nuisance fuse blowing or worse)

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #64 of 65
To be clear, we are talking by-pass (inter-stage coupling) caps only here.
bypass and interstage coupling are two different functions.
Caps age with time, they are, in effect, electrical shock absorbers.

I restore vintage hifi gear as a side job. Recapping is a common request. Each capacitor manufacturer uses slightly different insulating materials for their dielectric which in turn, has a different "voice:" Even within the same manufacturer, they make different series. One thing I try to be careful about is not using too fast of a cap in vintage gear. A lot of the old transistors were grainy, too fast of a cap will reveal this in an unpleasant way. Also different ears have different preferences. (There are forums that discuss these nuances in detail) All that said, I use Elna Silmic II for SS gear. They are a nice balance of fast and smooth, my customers seem to really like the results. For older tube gear I use Sprague Orange Drops. Again most customers like the results and the price is not outrageously expensive. Never change the capacitance value, you may however increase the voltage rating, never lower.

For power supplies, sometimes you can only use what fits. I like Nichicon "Gold Tune" and "Super Through" for SS, Sprague for tube amps, if I can find one the fits. Here you can increase both voltage and capacitance values, within reason. Too high capacitance (>2x) will cause excessive inrush current on start-up, (nuisance fuse blowing or worse)
The definitive work on this was published in Audio in 1980, by Walter G. Jung and Richard Marsh. Part 1 here, Part 2 here.

Back when that was published I did my own testing and found what they say to be precisely true, especially the THD shown in Figures 2 and 3. The information in those articles influenced all my design and repair work ever since.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #65 of 65
Yes I first read that Audio magazine article way back in 1980. Great paper, save for the last text page. I think that with modern ABX tests their listening impressions might be different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back