do any canalphones extend past 16khz?
Jun 2, 2005 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

EdipisReks

Banned
i'm starting to get irritated with my etys, because of the treble roll off. they are fine for portable use, but whenever i am listening to them fairly critically i miss the sparkle that my CD3k's give. my ears were recently tested, and i can hear tones to 18khz, which frankly surprised me, since i've been pretty abusive of my ears in the past, and i'm sure this is the cause of my problem. i was originally planning on getting a set of UE5c's, but the response graph that UE shows on their site has that same big roll off. since Sensaphonics uses basically the same armatures as UE, i'm assuming that they have the same problem...? if none of the customs have the treble extension that i get with my CD3k's, i guess i'll just continue with my Etys and try to ignore the chunk of missing frequency.

Jun 2, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i'm starting to get irritated with my etys, because of the treble roll off. they are fine for portable use, but whenever i am listening to them fairly critically i miss the sparkle that my CD3k's give. my ears were recently tested, and i can hear tones to 18khz, which frankly surprised me, since i've been pretty abusive of my ears in the past, and i'm sure this is the cause of my problem. i was originally planning on getting a set of UE5c's, but the response graph that UE shows on their site has that same big roll off. since Sensaphonics uses basically the same armatures as UE, i'm assuming that they have the same problem...? if none of the customs have the treble extension that i get with my CD3k's, i guess i'll just continue with my Etys and try to ignore the chunk of missing frequency.

Insofar as I am aware, Everyone uses the same balanced armature drivers as a base line, then tweaks it from there.

I do not think the driver itself is capable of doing more than 16khz, so your stuck with it unless you can find a canal phone using a different driver

Jun 2, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 15
I have made a little passive filter module for my ER4's to reduce the 'hot spots' that can make them sound somewhat shrill.
It is based on the filter here:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm

The treble roll off can also be adjusted with the addition of a small cap that bypasses the 'S' attenuation resistor.
The addition of another resistor value in series with the capacitor adjusts
the level of increase.

I have not finalized the values as I am still doing listening tests with my development board, but things look promising.
biggrin.gif

Setmenu

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 15
Westone's ES3 plays from a claimed 20-18k response, here. Of course, I've never heard them, unfortunately.

biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 3, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

no, offense, setmenu,

None Taken.

Quote:

but i'd rather spend $800 on some new canalphones than do all of that
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not that much work if you enjoy a bit of diy, most of the time is taken up with listening tests.
But then again 'plug and play' does have it's appeal.
icon10.gif

With so many canalphones available these days it would be difficult and
nearly impossible with the custom mould variety to audition them all.
As I already have the ER4's I thought I might as well get the most out of them and tune them to my tastes.
[getting a nice full airy sound out of them now, with little harshness
icon10.gif
]

Setmenu

Jun 3, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

my ears were recently tested, and i can hear tones to 18khz, which frankly surprised me, since i've been pretty abusive of my ears in the past, and i'm sure this is the cause of my problem.

At what SPL you're able to hear 18KHz tones?

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
At what SPL you're able to hear 18KHz tones?

i think it was 88 dbl, but i would have to check my print out at home to be sure. i could hear higher tones at higher SPL, but as i don't listen normally listen louder than 90 dbl (and it's usually substantially quieter), i don't consider the higher/louder tones to be very significant to my listening habits. this all makes sense to me, as the times i miss that sparkle with the CD3k's are with songs i really like, and the songs i really like i listen to louder than everything else.

Jun 3, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 15
I was quite surprised to see what the frequency response was on the Future Sonics EM3:

Wide-Spectrum 20hz - 20khz

I think this might be due to the fact that they use their own proprietary drivers that are non-armature. Don't know of another company who makes high-end IEM's that use non-armature type drivers...anybody?
basshead.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 15
EM3 is made with a dynamic driver. We (Shure) also use a dynamic driver in our E2 earphone.

Jun 3, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried
EM3 is made with a dynamic driver. We (Shure) also use a dynamic driver in our E2 earphone.

I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification Sugarfried. How about the rest of your line...pecifically the products that I have: the e3 and the e5?

Thanks!

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 15
I'd be very interested in seeing the audiologist made audiograms of your hearing test.

The international hearing test standard only goes to 11kHz. The extension to 14kHz.

I've had the latter performed on myself (I'm pretty much flat to 11kHz).

I'd also like to hear where (name of the clinic / performing audiologist) and what kind of a silenced room was this test performed in.

It is a common known fact in audiology that test results above 11kHz can easily vary +/-30 dB from day to day for the same test subject.

Jun 3, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

i'm starting to get irritated with my etys, because of the treble roll off. they are fine for portable use, but whenever i am listening to them fairly critically i miss the sparkle that my CD3k's give.

That "sparkle" in sound has very little to do with >16kHz frequency IME. Sparkle comes from very upper midrange to mid-treble at best and how different phones handle this area, so a 'phone that has zero output >16kHz can still have tons of sparkly sound.

Speakers and headphones that have a lot of output >16-18kHz tend not to sound sparkly, per se, but give a subtle, soft, almost subliminal airiness, which helps mostly with imaging, soundstaging, and sense of hall ambiance mostly..

Jun 3, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
That "sparkle" in sound has very little to do with >16kHz frequency IME. Sparkle comes from very upper midrange to mid-treble at best and how different phones handle this area, so a 'phone that has zero output >16kHz can still have tons of sparkly sound.

Speakers and headphones that have a lot of output >16-18kHz tend not to sound sparkly, per se, but give a subtle, soft, almost subliminal airiness, which helps mostly with imaging, soundstaging, and sense of hall ambiance mostly..

ah ha! thank you for that post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back