Do all Grados eventually get grattle?
Jan 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
Been a while since I posted.

My Grado Sr125 developed grattle in one driver, and I put them in their case and in storage for a few years. I found a grattle fix on Headwize (suck & heat & clean) and decided to try it. The worst of the grattle is gone, but turning up an SR-71 amp to about 3/4 of then way brings the grattle back. My Beyers can take full volume without distorting. I was using Bink Audio Test CD 80kz "wobble" track. I also used the sine sweep and noticed that the drivers were wildly unmatched in the higher registers. It was like someone was turning the pan button. My Beyers were almost ruler-even all the way up.

Here is a weird thing: when I turn off the source the Grados are silent. When I turn off the amp, I hear a crinkle in both drivers like the mylar is deflating. Note, this is without music playing.

So why not just use the Beyers (DT250-250)? I love them but the Grados are just more musical.

I would like to get a new pair of Grados but at this price point, I don't want to end up with another expensive dud. I have my eye on the SR225.  My Sr125 are I think are pushing 7 or 8 years old.

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
My Grado Sr125 developed grattle in one driver, and I put them in their case and in storage for a few years. I found a grattle fix on Headwize (suck & heat & clean) and decided to try it. The worst of the grattle is gone, but turning up an SR-71 amp to about 3/4 of then way brings the grattle back. 

Welcome back!

Did you suck back the diaphragm, let it go back and maybe a light hairdry on it? Only other option is to get right at the diaphragms and pull back the problem areas with tape.

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks! I've sucked and hit it with the hairdryer for about 5 seconds at 3 inches away.

I noticed the drivers sort of float in the cans.Can I pop the drivers out of the back of the case? It seemed like I could.

Besides, I don't feel like spending $200 on headphones I'll have to take apart and repair in 10 years or sooner or pay Grado $100 to repair them. I'd rather have working cans at this point without tape etc on the drivers.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Thanks! I've sucked and hit it with the hairdryer for about 5 seconds at 3 inches away.

I noticed the drivers sort of float in the cans.Can I pop the drivers out of the back of the case? It seemed like I could.

Besides, I don't feel like spending $200 on headphones I'll have to take apart and repair in 10 years or sooner or pay Grado $100 to repair them. I'd rather have working cans at this point without tape etc on the drivers.

I don't blame you, especially in light of the fact that if you have an older SR125, the drivers will sound different (better) that the current ones. If you send them for repair, chances are you will get current version drivers.

The drivers are moulded into the plastic sub-housing. To get at the diaphragms, you have to pry them out from the inside, which is risky business. They are glued in and there a little tabs holding them in as well. I've done this many times and the crinkling if the diaphragms when you attempt this makes one very queasy.

I'd keep trying the sucking, with varying degrees of "force". Like sucking it back, then letting it go back very slowly. It's really a trial and error thing.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 8
The drivers are loose behind the plastic tabs. Should they be glued into place? If so, they would explain the rattle at low frequencies.

What kind of alarms me and makes me wonder the most is the loud crinkle after I turn the amp off. What the heck is that?

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 8
My 325is are around a month old. After burn in I started notching the volume up and noticed a "buzz" on the lower frequencies in one channel. Investigation with test tones showed a "grattle" (I guess?) on most freqs below 100Hz at higher volumes (though at or less than full whack on my ipod- harder to state where on headphone amp etc). Returned to the retailer who agreed with me and the 'phones are now back with Grado's UK agent. Initially they returned saying no problem but the retailer has sent back for proper re-testing.

Hopefully this should result in a new set of phones as I really dont fancy getting only 1 driver replaced.

Before anyone asks, it wasnt a hair, and if it was, it wasnt proud of the mesh so couldnt be extracted without busting the phones open. Blowing etc didnt work.

I shall update with the end result- I dont want to go through the next years of listening waiting for the "buzz" to ruin my (listening) buzz.

UPDATE phones returned, faulty driver fixed. Back in Nirvana although (hard life) will have to listen extra long to burn the new driver in. Happy chap.

May 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Sr-80's. when I wooded them one driver started a grattle at 200hz. Only certain songs would cause it. I thought I had cooked it, but after repeated sucking, blowing and hitting it with quick blasts of roughly that frequency, it magically went away! Very weird experience to say the least, but head -fier's saved me with this wonderful world of knowledge.

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 8

Blasting it with a couple bass test tracks kinda worked for me. The grattle is still present at high volumes on sine waves below 60 Hz but is inaudible on regular audio tracks now. Used portrait of tracy by Jaco to test. This is usually a hard song to render for my other headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back