Do AKG 501's need to break-in?
Jun 28, 2002 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PUGSTUB

500+ Head-Fier
Do these headphones need to break in before they sound their best? Also, I am using a new SL-CT570 portable CD player. Does this need burn-in as well before it really sounds its best?

Overall, I am quite pleased with initial impressions but wonder how good it will get. Thanks Head-Fier's for all the advice.

Jun 28, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Do you have an amp to power them? Cuz out of that portable their gonna sound like turd no matter how long they burn-in for.

Jun 28, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Don't worry about burning them in. Just listen to them. Over time, the drivers and diaphragm or whatever will loosen up. Most headphones usually get better bass response with a warmer mid range over time.

If you happened to be a compulsive headphone hobbyist and insist on burning them in, I recommend using classical music with some good deep natural bass. I seem to get better results with classical music compared to electronic music. Don't crank them up too loud because you don't want to blow the drivers.

I don't own the AKG 501, but I figured the burning process is more or less the same for most headphones.

Jun 28, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Actually, I have a Cosmic on the way. I don't need more volume, just looking for a quality improvement I was quite surprised by the volume and quality w/o an amplifier, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back